Re: [webalizer] w3c logs and files

  • Max Krainov
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001
      Hello!

      Recently (27.04.2001 11:41) you wrote:
      >> Is there any way to get webalizer to read w3c log files and read the files
      >> that people have downloaded/viewed?
      >> Right now, when i run webalizer on a w3c file, it doesnt output any of the
      >> URL information, including total files, total unique URLS, or top urls?
      g> Did you set correctly the Extended Properties of W3C log format ?
      I'm facing the same problems. What exactly should I do to be able to see the
      URLs, Referrers, etc.?

      I haven't found W3C log format in webalizer.conf.

      --
      Sincerely yours, Max Jury Krainov, WAP Shareware, Inc. CEO
      Software for WAP developers and users http://www.wap-shareware.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001
        > >> Is there any way to get webalizer to read w3c log files and read the
        files
        > >> that people have downloaded/viewed?
        > >> Right now, when i run webalizer on a w3c file, it doesnt output any of
        the
        > >> URL information, including total files, total unique URLS, or top urls?
        > g> Did you set correctly the Extended Properties of W3C log format ?
        > I'm facing the same problems. What exactly should I do to be able to see
        the
        > URLs, Referrers, etc.?
        >
        > I haven't found W3C log format in webalizer.conf.

        It is in your webserver that you change it. If it is IIS, you find it in the
        properties for the website.

        - Carsten
      • Max Krainov
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001
          Hello!
          Recently (27.04.2001 12:42) you wrote:
          >> I haven't found W3C log format in webalizer.conf.
          CG> It is in your webserver that you change it. If it is IIS, you find it in the
          CG> properties for the website.
          And if I am using the third-party hosting? I get the following lines in the log
          files:
          (for example)
          63.78.179.5 - - [17/Apr/2001:16:24:08 -0500] "GET / HTTP/1.0" "http://www.bigwapsite.co.uk/freewap.htm" 500 624

          But Webalizer (here are the parameters of my machine:)

          Webalizer V2.00-03 (Windows NT 5.0 Service Pack 1) English
          Using logfile access_log (clf)
          Creating output in current directory
          Hostname for reports is 'MAX'
          Reading history file... webalizer.hist
          Generating report for April 2001
          Generating summary report
          Saving history information...
          11324 records (89 ignored) in 7.00 seconds, 1617/sec
          says multiple times:
          Warning: Truncating oversized referrer field

          I suppose that this problem can be fixed. Is it true?

          --
          Sincerely yours, Max Jury Krainov, WAP Shareware, Inc. CEO
          Software for WAP developers and users http://www.wap-shareware.com
          Member of Association of Shareware Professionals
        • gorizia1
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001
            > And if I am using the third-party hosting? I get the following lines in
            the log
            > files:
            > (for example)
            > 63.78.179.5 - - [17/Apr/2001:16:24:08 -0500] "GET / HTTP/1.0"
            "http://www.bigwapsite.co.uk/freewap.htm" 500 624

            > But Webalizer (here are the parameters of my machine:)
            >
            > Webalizer V2.00-03 (Windows NT 5.0 Service Pack 1) English
            > Using logfile access_log (clf)
            > Creating output in current directory
            > Hostname for reports is 'MAX'
            > Reading history file... webalizer.hist
            > Generating report for April 2001
            > Generating summary report
            > Saving history information...
            > 11324 records (89 ignored) in 7.00 seconds, 1617/sec
            > says multiple times:
            > Warning: Truncating oversized referrer field
            >
            > I suppose that this problem can be fixed. Is it true?

            A friend of mine says that the problem could be in the quotation marks (")
            typical of CLF format.
            It would be better to set IIS to generate truly W3C log files, so you can
            have also the information about Referrer and User Agent.

            Bye,
            Andrea
          • Carsten Gehling
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001
              > >> I haven't found W3C log format in webalizer.conf.
              > CG> It is in your webserver that you change it. If it is IIS, you find it
              in the
              > CG> properties for the website.

              > And if I am using the third-party hosting?

              Then you must ask your host to enable all options in the log. Problem is,
              they are not all enabled by default installation, and your host has probably
              not thought about it.

              - Carsten
            • Max Krainov
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001
                Hello!

                Recently (27.04.2001 13:19) you wrote:
                >> And if I am using the third-party hosting?
                CG> Then you must ask your host to enable all options in the log. Problem is,
                CG> they are not all enabled by default installation, and your host has probably
                CG> not thought about it.
                Hm.. That sounds rather interesting. What exactly should I ask my hoster to turn
                on or modify?

                --
                Sincerely yours, Max Jury Krainov, WAP Shareware, Inc. CEO
                Software for WAP developers and users http://www.wap-shareware.com
                Member of Association of Shareware Professionals
              • Saunders
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001
                  > Did you set correctly the Extended Properties of W3C log format ?

                  Here are the options i have set in W3c format:
                  date
                  time
                  Client IP address
                  User Nmae
                  Method
                  URI Stem
                  URI Query
                  Protocol Status
                  Bytes Sent
                  Bytss Received

                  Is there anything else i need to set? Here is an example record from the
                  file:

                  2001-04-27 00:33:19 192.168.0.4 jeepguy [5]sent
                  /mp3s/g+love/G.+Love+&+Special+Sauce+-+Kick+Drum.mp3 226 2844340 0

                  Saunders

                  > > Is there any way to get webalizer to read w3c log files and
                  > read the files
                  > > that people have downloaded/viewed?
                  > > Right now, when i run webalizer on a w3c file, it doesnt output
                  > any of the
                  > > URL information, including total files, total unique URLS, or top urls?

                • Jean-Noel HAYART
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001
                    hi all

                    Actually webalizer can read only thoses fileds in log :

                    "date", "time", "c-ip","cs-username", "cs-uri-stem",
                    "sc-status","sc-bytes", "cs(User-Agent)", "cs(Referer)"

                    thoses fields can produce complete report from original webalizer.

                    but in default IIS4 or IIS5 don't have all this fields, you need select it.

                    Regards

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001

                      > > Did you set correctly the Extended Properties of W3C log format ?
                      >

                      > Here are the options i have set in W3c format:
                      > date
                      > time
                      > Client IP address
                      > User Nmae
                      > Method
                      > URI Stem
                      > URI Query
                      > Protocol Status
                      > Bytes Sent
                      > Bytss Received
                      >
                      > Is there anything else i need to set? Here is an example record from the
                      > file:
                      >
                      > 2001-04-27 00:33:19 192.168.0.4 jeepguy [5]sent
                      > /mp3s/g+love/G.+Love+&+Special+Sauce+-+Kick+Drum.mp3 226 2844340 0
                      >
                      > Saunders

                      Well, it seems ok.
                      But in my log files I have "GET" instead of "sent"...I don't know if this
                      could prevent webalizer from generating correct analysis.
                      If you process such log files you have to obtain analysis containing also
                      the lists of most requested files.
                      Tip: you may want to add the "User Agent" and "Referer" properties to enable
                      the graph of types of web browsers and the references to webs that called
                      your web site.

                      Bye,
                      Andrea