Re: [webalizer] w3c logs and files

  • gorizia1
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 26, 2001
      > Is there any way to get webalizer to read w3c log files and read the files
      > that people have downloaded/viewed?
      > Right now, when i run webalizer on a w3c file, it doesnt output any of the
      > URL information, including total files, total unique URLS, or top urls?

      Did you set correctly the Extended Properties of W3C log format ?
      Bye,
      Andrea
    • Max Krainov
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001
        Hello!

        Recently (27.04.2001 11:41) you wrote:
        >> Is there any way to get webalizer to read w3c log files and read the files
        >> that people have downloaded/viewed?
        >> Right now, when i run webalizer on a w3c file, it doesnt output any of the
        >> URL information, including total files, total unique URLS, or top urls?
        g> Did you set correctly the Extended Properties of W3C log format ?
        I'm facing the same problems. What exactly should I do to be able to see the
        URLs, Referrers, etc.?

        I haven't found W3C log format in webalizer.conf.

        --
        Sincerely yours, Max Jury Krainov, WAP Shareware, Inc. CEO
        Software for WAP developers and users http://www.wap-shareware.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001
          > >> Is there any way to get webalizer to read w3c log files and read the
          files
          > >> that people have downloaded/viewed?
          > >> Right now, when i run webalizer on a w3c file, it doesnt output any of
          the
          > >> URL information, including total files, total unique URLS, or top urls?
          > g> Did you set correctly the Extended Properties of W3C log format ?
          > I'm facing the same problems. What exactly should I do to be able to see
          the
          > URLs, Referrers, etc.?
          >
          > I haven't found W3C log format in webalizer.conf.

          It is in your webserver that you change it. If it is IIS, you find it in the
          properties for the website.

          - Carsten
        • Max Krainov
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001
            Hello!
            Recently (27.04.2001 12:42) you wrote:
            >> I haven't found W3C log format in webalizer.conf.
            CG> It is in your webserver that you change it. If it is IIS, you find it in the
            CG> properties for the website.
            And if I am using the third-party hosting? I get the following lines in the log
            files:
            (for example)
            63.78.179.5 - - [17/Apr/2001:16:24:08 -0500] "GET / HTTP/1.0" "http://www.bigwapsite.co.uk/freewap.htm" 500 624

            But Webalizer (here are the parameters of my machine:)

            Webalizer V2.00-03 (Windows NT 5.0 Service Pack 1) English
            Using logfile access_log (clf)
            Creating output in current directory
            Hostname for reports is 'MAX'
            Reading history file... webalizer.hist
            Generating report for April 2001
            Generating summary report
            Saving history information...
            11324 records (89 ignored) in 7.00 seconds, 1617/sec
            says multiple times:
            Warning: Truncating oversized referrer field

            I suppose that this problem can be fixed. Is it true?

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001
              > And if I am using the third-party hosting? I get the following lines in
              the log
              > files:
              > (for example)
              > 63.78.179.5 - - [17/Apr/2001:16:24:08 -0500] "GET / HTTP/1.0"
              "http://www.bigwapsite.co.uk/freewap.htm" 500 624

              > But Webalizer (here are the parameters of my machine:)
              >
              > Webalizer V2.00-03 (Windows NT 5.0 Service Pack 1) English
              > Using logfile access_log (clf)
              > Creating output in current directory
              > Hostname for reports is 'MAX'
              > Reading history file... webalizer.hist
              > Generating report for April 2001
              > Generating summary report
              > Saving history information...
              > 11324 records (89 ignored) in 7.00 seconds, 1617/sec
              > says multiple times:
              > Warning: Truncating oversized referrer field
              >
              > I suppose that this problem can be fixed. Is it true?

              A friend of mine says that the problem could be in the quotation marks (")
              typical of CLF format.
              It would be better to set IIS to generate truly W3C log files, so you can
              have also the information about Referrer and User Agent.

              Bye,
              Andrea
            • Carsten Gehling
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001
                > >> I haven't found W3C log format in webalizer.conf.
                > CG> It is in your webserver that you change it. If it is IIS, you find it
                in the
                > CG> properties for the website.

                > And if I am using the third-party hosting?

                Then you must ask your host to enable all options in the log. Problem is,
                they are not all enabled by default installation, and your host has probably
                not thought about it.

                - Carsten
              • Max Krainov
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001
                  Hello!

                  Recently (27.04.2001 13:19) you wrote:
                  >> And if I am using the third-party hosting?
                  CG> Then you must ask your host to enable all options in the log. Problem is,
                  CG> they are not all enabled by default installation, and your host has probably
                  CG> not thought about it.
                  Hm.. That sounds rather interesting. What exactly should I ask my hoster to turn
                  on or modify?

                  --
                  Sincerely yours, Max Jury Krainov, WAP Shareware, Inc. CEO
                  Software for WAP developers and users http://www.wap-shareware.com
                  Member of Association of Shareware Professionals
                • Saunders
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001
                    > Did you set correctly the Extended Properties of W3C log format ?

                    Here are the options i have set in W3c format:
                    date
                    time
                    Client IP address
                    User Nmae
                    Method
                    URI Stem
                    URI Query
                    Protocol Status
                    Bytes Sent
                    Bytss Received

                    Is there anything else i need to set? Here is an example record from the
                    file:

                    2001-04-27 00:33:19 192.168.0.4 jeepguy [5]sent
                    /mp3s/g+love/G.+Love+&+Special+Sauce+-+Kick+Drum.mp3 226 2844340 0

                    Saunders

                    > > Is there any way to get webalizer to read w3c log files and
                    > read the files
                    > > that people have downloaded/viewed?
                    > > Right now, when i run webalizer on a w3c file, it doesnt output
                    > any of the
                    > > URL information, including total files, total unique URLS, or top urls?

                  • Jean-Noel HAYART
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001
                      hi all

                      Actually webalizer can read only thoses fileds in log :

                      "date", "time", "c-ip","cs-username", "cs-uri-stem",
                      "sc-status","sc-bytes", "cs(User-Agent)", "cs(Referer)"

                      thoses fields can produce complete report from original webalizer.

                      but in default IIS4 or IIS5 don't have all this fields, you need select it.

                      Regards

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001

                        > > Did you set correctly the Extended Properties of W3C log format ?
                        >

                        > Here are the options i have set in W3c format:
                        > date
                        > time
                        > Client IP address
                        > User Nmae
                        > Method
                        > URI Stem
                        > URI Query
                        > Protocol Status
                        > Bytes Sent
                        > Bytss Received
                        >
                        > Is there anything else i need to set? Here is an example record from the
                        > file:
                        >
                        > 2001-04-27 00:33:19 192.168.0.4 jeepguy [5]sent
                        > /mp3s/g+love/G.+Love+&+Special+Sauce+-+Kick+Drum.mp3 226 2844340 0
                        >
                        > Saunders

                        Well, it seems ok.
                        But in my log files I have "GET" instead of "sent"...I don't know if this
                        could prevent webalizer from generating correct analysis.
                        If you process such log files you have to obtain analysis containing also
                        the lists of most requested files.
                        Tip: you may want to add the "User Agent" and "Referer" properties to enable
                        the graph of types of web browsers and the references to webs that called
                        your web site.

                        Bye,
                        Andrea