w3c logs and files

  • Saunders
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 26, 2001
      Is there any way to get webalizer to read w3c log files and read the files
      that people have downloaded/viewed?
      Right now, when i run webalizer on a w3c file, it doesnt output any of the
      URL information, including total files, total unique URLS, or top urls?

      any suggestions?

      Saunders
    • gorizia1
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 26, 2001
        > Is there any way to get webalizer to read w3c log files and read the files
        > that people have downloaded/viewed?
        > Right now, when i run webalizer on a w3c file, it doesnt output any of the
        > URL information, including total files, total unique URLS, or top urls?

        Did you set correctly the Extended Properties of W3C log format ?
        Bye,
        Andrea
      • Max Krainov
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001
          Hello!

          Recently (27.04.2001 11:41) you wrote:
          >> Is there any way to get webalizer to read w3c log files and read the files
          >> that people have downloaded/viewed?
          >> Right now, when i run webalizer on a w3c file, it doesnt output any of the
          >> URL information, including total files, total unique URLS, or top urls?
          g> Did you set correctly the Extended Properties of W3C log format ?
          I'm facing the same problems. What exactly should I do to be able to see the
          URLs, Referrers, etc.?

          I haven't found W3C log format in webalizer.conf.

          --
          Sincerely yours, Max Jury Krainov, WAP Shareware, Inc. CEO
          Software for WAP developers and users http://www.wap-shareware.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001
            > >> Is there any way to get webalizer to read w3c log files and read the
            files
            > >> that people have downloaded/viewed?
            > >> Right now, when i run webalizer on a w3c file, it doesnt output any of
            the
            > >> URL information, including total files, total unique URLS, or top urls?
            > g> Did you set correctly the Extended Properties of W3C log format ?
            > I'm facing the same problems. What exactly should I do to be able to see
            the
            > URLs, Referrers, etc.?
            >
            > I haven't found W3C log format in webalizer.conf.

            It is in your webserver that you change it. If it is IIS, you find it in the
            properties for the website.

            - Carsten
          • Max Krainov
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001
              Hello!
              Recently (27.04.2001 12:42) you wrote:
              >> I haven't found W3C log format in webalizer.conf.
              CG> It is in your webserver that you change it. If it is IIS, you find it in the
              CG> properties for the website.
              And if I am using the third-party hosting? I get the following lines in the log
              files:
              (for example)
              63.78.179.5 - - [17/Apr/2001:16:24:08 -0500] "GET / HTTP/1.0" "http://www.bigwapsite.co.uk/freewap.htm" 500 624

              But Webalizer (here are the parameters of my machine:)

              Webalizer V2.00-03 (Windows NT 5.0 Service Pack 1) English
              Using logfile access_log (clf)
              Creating output in current directory
              Hostname for reports is 'MAX'
              Reading history file... webalizer.hist
              Generating report for April 2001
              Generating summary report
              Saving history information...
              11324 records (89 ignored) in 7.00 seconds, 1617/sec
              says multiple times:
              Warning: Truncating oversized referrer field

              I suppose that this problem can be fixed. Is it true?

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001
                > And if I am using the third-party hosting? I get the following lines in
                the log
                > files:
                > (for example)
                > 63.78.179.5 - - [17/Apr/2001:16:24:08 -0500] "GET / HTTP/1.0"
                "http://www.bigwapsite.co.uk/freewap.htm" 500 624

                > But Webalizer (here are the parameters of my machine:)
                >
                > Webalizer V2.00-03 (Windows NT 5.0 Service Pack 1) English
                > Using logfile access_log (clf)
                > Creating output in current directory
                > Hostname for reports is 'MAX'
                > Reading history file... webalizer.hist
                > Generating report for April 2001
                > Generating summary report
                > Saving history information...
                > 11324 records (89 ignored) in 7.00 seconds, 1617/sec
                > says multiple times:
                > Warning: Truncating oversized referrer field
                >
                > I suppose that this problem can be fixed. Is it true?

                A friend of mine says that the problem could be in the quotation marks (")
                typical of CLF format.
                It would be better to set IIS to generate truly W3C log files, so you can
                have also the information about Referrer and User Agent.

                Bye,
                Andrea
              • Carsten Gehling
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001
                  > >> I haven't found W3C log format in webalizer.conf.
                  > CG> It is in your webserver that you change it. If it is IIS, you find it
                  in the
                  > CG> properties for the website.

                  > And if I am using the third-party hosting?

                  Then you must ask your host to enable all options in the log. Problem is,
                  they are not all enabled by default installation, and your host has probably
                  not thought about it.

                  - Carsten
                • Max Krainov
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001
                    Hello!

                    Recently (27.04.2001 13:19) you wrote:
                    >> And if I am using the third-party hosting?
                    CG> Then you must ask your host to enable all options in the log. Problem is,
                    CG> they are not all enabled by default installation, and your host has probably
                    CG> not thought about it.
                    Hm.. That sounds rather interesting. What exactly should I ask my hoster to turn
                    on or modify?

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001
                      > Did you set correctly the Extended Properties of W3C log format ?

                      Here are the options i have set in W3c format:
                      date
                      time
                      Client IP address
                      User Nmae
                      Method
                      URI Stem
                      URI Query
                      Protocol Status
                      Bytes Sent
                      Bytss Received

                      Is there anything else i need to set? Here is an example record from the
                      file:

                      2001-04-27 00:33:19 192.168.0.4 jeepguy [5]sent
                      /mp3s/g+love/G.+Love+&+Special+Sauce+-+Kick+Drum.mp3 226 2844340 0

                      Saunders

                      > > Is there any way to get webalizer to read w3c log files and
                      > read the files
                      > > that people have downloaded/viewed?
                      > > Right now, when i run webalizer on a w3c file, it doesnt output
                      > any of the
                      > > URL information, including total files, total unique URLS, or top urls?

                    • Jean-Noel HAYART
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001
                        hi all

                        Actually webalizer can read only thoses fileds in log :

                        "date", "time", "c-ip","cs-username", "cs-uri-stem",
                        "sc-status","sc-bytes", "cs(User-Agent)", "cs(Referer)"

                        thoses fields can produce complete report from original webalizer.

                        but in default IIS4 or IIS5 don't have all this fields, you need select it.

                        Regards

                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001

                          > > Did you set correctly the Extended Properties of W3C log format ?
                          >

                          > Here are the options i have set in W3c format:
                          > date
                          > time
                          > Client IP address
                          > User Nmae
                          > Method
                          > URI Stem
                          > URI Query
                          > Protocol Status
                          > Bytes Sent
                          > Bytss Received
                          >
                          > Is there anything else i need to set? Here is an example record from the
                          > file:
                          >
                          > 2001-04-27 00:33:19 192.168.0.4 jeepguy [5]sent
                          > /mp3s/g+love/G.+Love+&+Special+Sauce+-+Kick+Drum.mp3 226 2844340 0
                          >
                          > Saunders

                          Well, it seems ok.
                          But in my log files I have "GET" instead of "sent"...I don't know if this
                          could prevent webalizer from generating correct analysis.
                          If you process such log files you have to obtain analysis containing also
                          the lists of most requested files.
                          Tip: you may want to add the "User Agent" and "Referer" properties to enable
                          the graph of types of web browsers and the references to webs that called
                          your web site.

                          Bye,
                          Andrea