Re: Ram-Usage of webalizer

  • hansmeiserweb
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 19, 2009
      > well, i do hope you took it in the way it was intended... i was not joking and it is/was a valid solution that many folk do use...

      this is not very practicable for us. we cannot do a sponsoring of another server for this costumer. also we can not do a daily manuell transfering, parsing and 2nd transfering of files. this should be automated but this kind of action seems a bit far-fetched at this point.

      > you might have to roll your sleeves up and modify your webalizer to use disk disk files for its processing rather than it taking the
      > (currently standard method used in many apps) current method of
      > maintaining the lists in memory for fastest traversal and enumerating...

      thats the point. how? i did not find fitting options...

      > physical RAM space would also be a good and likely the best solution...

      may be, but i can not sell this to this costumer... not for this reason...

      hmm, need further suggestions. ;)

      Thanks,
      Hans
    • wstumper
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 20, 2009
        Since the server generating the large log files is running Apache, have you done anything to decrease log file size? Such as:

        SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI "\.(gif)|(png)|(css)|(js)|(ico)|(jpg)|(pl)|(cgi)|(rdx)|(cgi)$" nolog
        CustomLog d:/logs/creation.log combined env=!nolog

        There may be many other types of files you don't need. Let Apache clean up the files rather than Webalizer. This might help a bit.

        For future reference you may want to consider a 'fork' of Webalizer by Stone Steps: http://www.stonesteps.ca/projects/webalizer/

        Performance:

        Stone Steps Webalizer running with a minimum set of group/hide filters, enabled GeoIP and disabled DNS resolver on a 3GHz Core 2 ™ Quad with 4GB of RAM can process 122161 log records per second. Adding dozens of filters, using robot processing and user agent name mangling will reduce processing speed to about 80000 records per second on the same system.

        Walt...

        --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "hansmeiserweb" <hansmeiserweb@...> wrote:
        > thats the point. how? i did not find fitting options...
        >
        > > physical RAM space would also be a good and likely the best solution...
        >
        > may be, but i can not sell this to this costumer... not for this reason...
        >
        > hmm, need further suggestions. ;)
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Hans
      • Aaron Daniel Vega Villa
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 22, 2009
          why don't you make a container (if in solaris) or a VM inside your server so you will be able to run the webalizer on this "sandbox" and it will not consume all your server memory, only the memory you allocated for the VM or container.