Re: [webalizer] Re: webalizer - differnet languages at runtime - feature request

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2008
      > > > Is there a plan to make language changeable at runtime by an option?
      >
      > I am also interested in this enhancement. I am working on packaging
      > webalizer for inclusion in OpenSolaris and would like to provide
      > support for multiple languages, but without dynamic support, I'll be
      > forced to package just the English binary. Is there a patch I could
      > use to get runtime language selection?

      I've been looking into it.. however, due to it's multi-platform
      support, using something like gettext is problematic.. for
      example, Solaris uses a different mechanism and the two are not
      compatable (Solaris happens to be my main development platform
      by the way). What is needed is a way to provide such on-the-fly
      selection in a way that will be portable across different systems.

      The way we are currently doing it locally is to simply compile multiple
      binaries for the languages desired.. webalizer-en, webalizer-sp,
      webalizer-de, etc.. depending on how you have it setup, a simple
      shell script can be implemented so language is selected on the
      command line and the proper binary called.
    • dfedotova
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2008
        Please see below...

        --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "Bradford L. Barrett" <brad@...> wrote:

        option?

        > I've been looking into it.. however, due to it's multi-platform
        > support, using something like gettext is problematic.. for
        > example, Solaris uses a different mechanism and the two are not
        > compatable

        Actually, for my purposes a solaris-specific patch would be
        sufficient. I could keep the patch in the opensolaris distribution for
        now, without incorporating back into webalizer. When you make a
        generic solution available, I will update the OpenSolaris package.

        > The way we are currently doing it locally is to simply compile multiple
        > binaries for the languages desired.. webalizer-en, webalizer-sp,
        > webalizer-de, etc.. depending on how you have it setup, a simple
        > shell script can be implemented so language is selected on the
        > command line and the proper binary called.

        That's undesirable because the OpenSolaris distribution would have to
        include pre-compiled binaries for all languages. That would be a
        non-standard and wasteful solution. I'd rather go with a special patch
        for runtime selection.

        Could you help me create such a patch?

        Thanks,
        -- daria
      • hansmeiserweb
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 13, 2008

          > The way we are currently doing it locally is to simply compile
          multiple
          > binaries for the languages desired.. webalizer-en, webalizer-sp,
          > webalizer-de, etc.. depending on how you have it setup, a simple
          > shell script can be implemented so language is selected on the
          > command line and the proper binary called.

          in my opinion not a good solution. I had to package to x different
          binaries, handling and administration is more difficult...
          i am not a programmer, how about compiling in most used/chooseable
          languages in array or something and use them by command-line-option?

          Thanks Hans