Re: webalizer - differnet languages at runtime - feature request

  • dfedotova
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2008
      --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "hansmeiserweb" <hansmeiserweb@...>
      wrote:

      > > Is there a plan to make language changeable at runtime by an option?

      I am also interested in this enhancement. I am working on packaging
      webalizer for inclusion in OpenSolaris and would like to provide
      support for multiple languages, but without dynamic support, I'll be
      forced to package just the English binary. Is there a patch I could
      use to get runtime language selection?

      Thanks,
      -- daria
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2008
        > > > Is there a plan to make language changeable at runtime by an option?
        >
        > I am also interested in this enhancement. I am working on packaging
        > webalizer for inclusion in OpenSolaris and would like to provide
        > support for multiple languages, but without dynamic support, I'll be
        > forced to package just the English binary. Is there a patch I could
        > use to get runtime language selection?

        I've been looking into it.. however, due to it's multi-platform
        support, using something like gettext is problematic.. for
        example, Solaris uses a different mechanism and the two are not
        compatable (Solaris happens to be my main development platform
        by the way). What is needed is a way to provide such on-the-fly
        selection in a way that will be portable across different systems.

        The way we are currently doing it locally is to simply compile multiple
        binaries for the languages desired.. webalizer-en, webalizer-sp,
        webalizer-de, etc.. depending on how you have it setup, a simple
        shell script can be implemented so language is selected on the
        command line and the proper binary called.
      • dfedotova
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2008
          Please see below...

          --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "Bradford L. Barrett" <brad@...> wrote:

          option?

          > I've been looking into it.. however, due to it's multi-platform
          > support, using something like gettext is problematic.. for
          > example, Solaris uses a different mechanism and the two are not
          > compatable

          Actually, for my purposes a solaris-specific patch would be
          sufficient. I could keep the patch in the opensolaris distribution for
          now, without incorporating back into webalizer. When you make a
          generic solution available, I will update the OpenSolaris package.

          > The way we are currently doing it locally is to simply compile multiple
          > binaries for the languages desired.. webalizer-en, webalizer-sp,
          > webalizer-de, etc.. depending on how you have it setup, a simple
          > shell script can be implemented so language is selected on the
          > command line and the proper binary called.

          That's undesirable because the OpenSolaris distribution would have to
          include pre-compiled binaries for all languages. That would be a
          non-standard and wasteful solution. I'd rather go with a special patch
          for runtime selection.

          Could you help me create such a patch?

          Thanks,
          -- daria
        • hansmeiserweb
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 13, 2008

            > The way we are currently doing it locally is to simply compile
            multiple
            > binaries for the languages desired.. webalizer-en, webalizer-sp,
            > webalizer-de, etc.. depending on how you have it setup, a simple
            > shell script can be implemented so language is selected on the
            > command line and the proper binary called.

            in my opinion not a good solution. I had to package to x different
            binaries, handling and administration is more difficult...
            i am not a programmer, how about compiling in most used/chooseable
            languages in array or something and use them by command-line-option?

            Thanks Hans