Re: webalizer - differnet languages at runtime - feature request

  • hansmeiserweb
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 10, 2008
      --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "hansmeiserweb" <hansmeiserweb@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > new webalizer runs without problems. But there is one remaining
      > problem ;)
      > because language is only changeable at compiletime it is impractical
      > offer different languages on one server when you have to install 2
      > versions of webalizer in different paths.
      > Is there a plan to make language changeable at runtime by an option?
      >
      > Thanks
      > Andre

      up up ;)
    • dfedotova
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2008
        wrote:

        > > Is there a plan to make language changeable at runtime by an option?

        I am also interested in this enhancement. I am working on packaging
        webalizer for inclusion in OpenSolaris and would like to provide
        support for multiple languages, but without dynamic support, I'll be
        forced to package just the English binary. Is there a patch I could
        use to get runtime language selection?

        Thanks,
        -- daria
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2008
          > > > Is there a plan to make language changeable at runtime by an option?
          >
          > I am also interested in this enhancement. I am working on packaging
          > webalizer for inclusion in OpenSolaris and would like to provide
          > support for multiple languages, but without dynamic support, I'll be
          > forced to package just the English binary. Is there a patch I could
          > use to get runtime language selection?

          I've been looking into it.. however, due to it's multi-platform
          support, using something like gettext is problematic.. for
          example, Solaris uses a different mechanism and the two are not
          compatable (Solaris happens to be my main development platform
          by the way). What is needed is a way to provide such on-the-fly
          selection in a way that will be portable across different systems.

          The way we are currently doing it locally is to simply compile multiple
          binaries for the languages desired.. webalizer-en, webalizer-sp,
          webalizer-de, etc.. depending on how you have it setup, a simple
          shell script can be implemented so language is selected on the
          command line and the proper binary called.
        • dfedotova
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2008
            Please see below...

            --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "Bradford L. Barrett" <brad@...> wrote:

            option?

            > I've been looking into it.. however, due to it's multi-platform
            > support, using something like gettext is problematic.. for
            > example, Solaris uses a different mechanism and the two are not
            > compatable

            Actually, for my purposes a solaris-specific patch would be
            sufficient. I could keep the patch in the opensolaris distribution for
            now, without incorporating back into webalizer. When you make a
            generic solution available, I will update the OpenSolaris package.

            > The way we are currently doing it locally is to simply compile multiple
            > binaries for the languages desired.. webalizer-en, webalizer-sp,
            > webalizer-de, etc.. depending on how you have it setup, a simple
            > shell script can be implemented so language is selected on the
            > command line and the proper binary called.

            That's undesirable because the OpenSolaris distribution would have to
            include pre-compiled binaries for all languages. That would be a
            non-standard and wasteful solution. I'd rather go with a special patch
            for runtime selection.

            Could you help me create such a patch?

            Thanks,
            -- daria
          • hansmeiserweb
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 13, 2008

              > The way we are currently doing it locally is to simply compile
              multiple
              > binaries for the languages desired.. webalizer-en, webalizer-sp,
              > webalizer-de, etc.. depending on how you have it setup, a simple
              > shell script can be implemented so language is selected on the
              > command line and the proper binary called.

              in my opinion not a good solution. I had to package to x different
              binaries, handling and administration is more difficult...
              i am not a programmer, how about compiling in most used/chooseable
              languages in array or something and use them by command-line-option?

              Thanks Hans