webazolver, could it cause the system overload?

  • richmondsearain
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2007
      I am using freebsd. I set up the cron works to call webazolver and
      webalizer on over dozen sites on my server every early morning.

      Recently, I have two incidents that my server were running out of the
      resources/memory, only some dns services, http services, database
      connections working, some dns services, http services, or database
      connections were shut off. Eventually, the server would run out of
      the air in a few hours and totally shut down.

      These two incdients happend around the time I set up the cron to run
      webazolver and webalizer. Usually, the webazolver will take a long
      time, 3 mintues to 10 minutes to finish on the dozen sites. I wonder
      could the webazolver overload the BIND and finally overload the whole
      system?

      I had run into BIND memory leak problems before but we install the
      most current BIND and it seemd that the BIND memory leak was fixed.
      I also don't know if the webazolver has anything to do with the
      previous BIND memory leak.

      Plus, the webazolver created the cache file over 2 MB. Usually it
      will only have no more than a few hundreds addresses a day to deal
      with. Is the size of cache file rihgt?

      Thanks!
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 12, 2007
        Well, I think that webazolver uses BIND quite a lot. If BIND has memory
        leaks, then webazolver will hit all of them several times each.