Re: [webalizer] Visits/day measurement tool

  • Vasiliy Boulytchev
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 21, 2007
      Karen,
      I am very suprised to hear that the hosting companies you have mentioned
      provide tools such as webalizer... Yet again, why not...

      Most of us in the field analyze our own web server log files with
      software such as awstats, webalizer, or self-crafted statistics software
      which we write to fit our own web applications.

      No web statistics application, which is available to the masses, can
      track the usage of your proprietary shopping cart, take that just as an
      example...

      Google also offers some really neat stats tracking software, check them
      out as well.

      The question you have asked is extremely vague, and does not provide us
      with any insight to where to start looking at your problem. I doubt your
      hosting company would provide your web server logs for you, so there is
      little way to verify the information given.

      Write back if you have questions.

      Karen Ajluni wrote:

      > Hello webalizer group,
      >
      > I just moved our organization’s website over to Network Solutions from
      > Earthlink a few months ago. Network Solutions uses the webalizer tool,
      > whereas Earthlink has their own “Urchin Reports.” After moving over
      > our site, the web tool showed the average number of “visits per day”
      > to our site at about 350. Prior to the move, when using Earthlink’s
      > tool, the number of “visitors per day” consistently averaged at around
      > 1,000. Has anyone else experienced something like this and can explain
      > the phenomenom? Obviously, it must be something in how the different
      > tools work and count visitors? But, what? I would LOVE to have a
      > somewhat intelligent explanation to give my supervisor!
      >
      > Karen

    • waldo kitty
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 22, 2007
        Karen Ajluni wrote:

        > I just moved our organization’s website over to Network Solutions from
        > Earthlink a few months ago. Network Solutions uses the webalizer tool,
        > whereas Earthlink has their own “Urchin Reports.” After moving over our
        > site, the web tool showed the average number of “visits per day” to our
        > site at about 350. Prior to the move, when using Earthlink’s tool, the
        > number of “visitors per day” consistently averaged at around 1,000. Has
        > anyone else experienced something like this and can explain the
        > phenomenom? Obviously, it must be something in how the different tools
        > work and count visitors? But, what? I would LOVE to have a somewhat
        > intelligent explanation to give my supervisor!

        hi karen,

        i believe that part of your "problem" is in the words "visits" and "visitors"... one really can't count either for
        various reasons... each connection, could be counted as a visit because each one is complete and whole all on its own...
        webalizer and other tools can only "guesstimate" by using a period of time... all the connections from one ip during
        whatever timespan you choose are counted as one "visit"... if you reduce that time period, you'll get "more visits" in
        the stats... if your time period is too long, you'll have too few...

        think of it like this... i go by your site and stop at the main/initial page... you get a tally of all my connections
        for the html page and each of the graphics... now, say that your time period is set for 10 minutes... i leave my browser
        sitting on your initial page and go to a meeting... when i get back in an hour, i start browsing your site... i click on
        one link... your stats will now show that as another visit and may show that i came by twice... but i didn't... i never
        left... so, i'm browsing your site and doing whatever... that takes me say 15 minutes... well, you have a 10 minute time
        period set and my last 5 minutes will be counted as an additional visit...

        does that make sense? it isn't as easy as it was years back before the internet and browsers... nothing quite like the
        old BBS days where you looked at your logs and saw a connection for one person from initial modem handshake to session
        termination and modem disconnect... webalizer and other products do, generally, allow you to select your time period for
        this/these stats... the key is to get it adjusted properly for traffic and functions on your site... if you didn't
        adjust that parameter at the old hosting company, and it is set different with the new one, then those stats will
        definitely be off...

        the only other way to get a closer count is to have some kind of counter that is requested... then instead of looking at
        visitors to the site, you look at visitors to each page that carries the counter... however, this method also has
        problems because each refresh could (and does in most cases) increment the counter... counting visits and visitors is a
        best guess estimate function... you should also be able to get your logs from your host and then you could also process
        them yourself and pull other stats... you just have to know that stats can _say_ many things but that doesn't mean that
        what they are saying is accurate or not...

        hope this helps... i'm sure you'll read other similar messages to this... hopefully it'll all be clearer...

        --
        _\/
        (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA