Statistics in other language

  • Marek Simon
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2007
      Hi, I have debian sarge, webalizer 2.01-31 from debian distribution,
      apache 2.0.x. I have no problem with making stats in english. But I want
      to generate them in czech language with utf-8 or iso8859-2 (Central
      Europe) encoding. The webalizer ought to suport that, but when I set up
      the locales, the webalizer makes the stats with czech messages, but the
      letters from the template are considered as Western encoding and there
      bad characters in output. Have somebody some experiences with
      non-western webalizer?
      Thanks
      Marek
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2007
        I think that the lang files for webalizer are in UTF-8 format. Setting
        your HTML encoding to anything other than UTF-8 should break all the
        non-english characters.

        I added an explicit HTML encoding instruction to my webalizer.conf:

        HTMLHead <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
        charset=UTF-8">

        Any other encoding will cause problems for non-english characters.
        Notice that in the "Total Search Strings" you will normally ALWAYS find
        some strange characters, since not all search engines use UTF-8.

        In your broser you can set the encoding, to check fastly how everything
        looks on each encoding. It's probably at the "View" menu.

        If you have still have problems, then check the file
        "webalizer_lang.czech", inside the lang directory for webalizer. Check
        that all characters are correct. I looked at it myself, and I can see
        that some characters look like broken. You can change the incorrect
        haracters and re-run webalizer to see the results.

        (note: notice that this file format is in UTF-8, so don't save
        accidentally in ASCII mode, as I did once, since this breaks
        everything)

        If you make corrections to that file, please send them to the webalizer
        creator, so he can update the file.

        I hope this helped.

        --- Marek Simon <simon@...> wrote:

        > Hi, I have debian sarge, webalizer 2.01-31 from debian distribution,
        > apache 2.0.x. I have no problem with making stats in english. But I
        > want
        > to generate them in czech language with utf-8 or iso8859-2 (Central
        > Europe) encoding. The webalizer ought to suport that, but when I set
        > up
        > the locales, the webalizer makes the stats with czech messages, but
        > the
        > letters from the template are considered as Western encoding and
        > there
        > bad characters in output. Have somebody some experiences with
        > non-western webalizer?
        > Thanks
        > Marek

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Marek Simon
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2007
          I know, how I can set the encoding either in browser or the document,
          but the problem is deeper. The bad characters and question marks are in
          the document itself, not just in a browser view. I can see them in shell.
          The second problem - I didn't find any lang file for webalizer. It seems
          there is no such file. I installed webalizer from the linux distribution
          (debian sarge), because the maintanance is easy and there is usualy no
          problem with function, since the package systems watches the libs and
          deps. May be it is different here.
          Marek
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 8, 2007
            You should then attempt to download the source code for webalizer,
            change the lang files, and then build it yourself telling it to build
            it using czech language. It's the only thing I can think about.

            On the source code you'll find a file called INSTALL. Basically, you'd
            have to execute:

            ./configure --with-language=czech
            make
            make install

            Normally, I only do "make", and then I call the executable that gets
            created inside the "build" subdirectory by giving the whole path to it.

            /opt/webalizer-2.01-10/build/webalizer

            This way, I can build several versions, and call one or other depending
            on what I want. You can build a czech version on a directory called
            "webalizer_czech", and this way you can still have the original version
            that was provided by the debian package.

            In my cron.daily file, I sometimes call different versions (this is
            part of a bigger file):

            options="-c $CONF -o $ROOT_OUTPUT_ALIZER/$version/$web_dir";

            if [[ $version == "original" ]]; then

            /opt/webalizer/webalizer-2.01-10/build/webalizer $options

            elif [[ $version == "2.6.4" ]]; then

            /opt/webalizer/webalizer-src-2.6.4.2/build/webalizer $options

            elif [[ $version == "2.7" ]]; then

            /opt/webalizer/webalizer_src_2_7_0_5/build/webalizer $options

            else

            echo "no valid version";

            fi;

            The versions 2.6 and 2.7 are from a fork of webalizer called Stone
            Steps Webalizer. It has a few more options than the original webalizer:

            http://www.stonesteps.ca/projects/webalizer/

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 8, 2007
              One more thing:

              This link explains what packages you need to install for building
              webalizer:

              http://www.joostdevalk.nl/code/stone-steps-webalizer/compiling-stone-steps-webalizer-on-debian.html

              I have found that building webalizer is a hassle on Fedora/Red Hat,
              because it uses several packages that are not included on standard
              installations, and you have to hunt them. I imagine that Debian has the
              same problem.

              http://mail.yahoo.com