Several SearchEngine variables

  • Joosep-Georg Järvemaa
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2006
      --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, Enric Naval <enventa2000@...> wrote:

      > For the search engines, you should ask Mr. Barret to write a better
      > search engines processing, one that would allow to process several
      > variables for each engine, like altavista using q=, aqa=, aqp=, aqo=,
      > aqb=, filetype= and r=.

      There hasn't been much progress on this one lately?

      I took a quick look at the code and it seems it's not very hard to fix
      it but I'd better leave it someone who's more familiar with the code.

      Regards,
      --
      Joosep-Georg
    • waldo kitty
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4, 2006
        Joosep-Georg Järvemaa wrote:
        > --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, Enric Naval <enventa2000@...> wrote:
        >> For the search engines, you should ask Mr. Barret to write a better
        >> search engines processing, one that would allow to process several
        >> variables for each engine, like altavista using q=, aqa=, aqp=, aqo=,
        >> aqb=, filetype= and r=.
        >
        > There hasn't been much progress on this one lately?
        >
        > I took a quick look at the code and it seems it's not very hard to fix
        > it but I'd better leave it someone who's more familiar with the code.

        there are other alternatives... awstats comes to mind... i use both, webalizer and awstats, as well as one or two
        others... each has their strengths and weaknesses and some show some info that others simply can't/won't... just like a
        virus scanner, i don't trust the results of only one... give me at least three so that i can take the results of at
        least two that agree...

        --
        _\/
        (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 6, 2006
          --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, waldo kitty <wkitty42@...> wrote:

          > there are other alternatives... awstats comes to mind... i use both,
          webalizer and awstats, as well as one or two
          > others... each has their strengths and weaknesses and some show some
          info that others simply can't/won't... just like a
          > virus scanner, i don't trust the results of only one... give me at
          least three so that i can take the results of at
          > least two that agree...

          Sometimes there's no possibility to use alternatives. My (and I think
          most Linux/Apache) hosting providers use Webalizer and the only
          possibility to have that SearchEngine-related (mis)behaviour fixed is
          to get Brad to patch Webalizer and then wait until it makes it to that
          distribution's repositories the hosting provider uses.

          Regards,
          --
          Joosep-Georg