Re: Webalizer stopped webalizing!

  • John
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 9, 2006
      --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, Enric Naval <enventa2000@...> wrote:

      > Your DNS cache file is VERY BIG. How many visits do you have daily??
      You should delete it and re-run webalizer and look if it creates a
      smaller file. My dns cache is way smaller, in spite of it processing a
      whole year of visits, with 4500 visits per day:

      > [root@griho ~]# ls -l $(locate dns_cache)
      > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12288 ago 24 04:02
      /var/lib/webalizer/dns_cache.db

      > Compare my 12 KB to your 10 MB! I supose that
      >
      > a) webalizer has corrupted the file, or
      >
      > b) the cache has grown so big that webalizer is unable to handle it,
      and it breaks it in a way that it neither generates the stats, nor it
      crashes.

      I deleted and recreated the cache file. I've been trying to re-run
      stats... I thought it was working because it was taking an
      appropriately long time to read the access_log, but it still isn't
      actually writing anything. On top of that...

      [root@ns ~]# ls -l /var/lib/webalizer/dns_cache.db
      -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 663552 Nov 9 14:39
      /var/lib/webalizer/dns_cache.db

      I already have over 600K in it, just after running with a coupld of
      access_log files that are absolutely not for very heavily-visited sites.

      So, if the cache file sare supposed to be like 12K... what's the
      problem, and how do I fix?

      I just looked at the cache file on my working server and it's 12K or so.
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 23, 2006
        Oooops, I have just opened my dns_cache.db file on emacs, and it's empty (well, it's full of strange characters, probably markings for a hash table, but there are no DNS entries on it). I have just remembered that I turned webalizer's DNS turned OFF because Apache already does the DNS queries before writing to the access_log file. That's why my dns_cache.db file is 12K big.

        This means that the size of my dns_cache.db file is not representative of yours.

        Also, since Apache has already found all existant domain names, running webalizer with DNS activated won't change my dns_cache.db file on a significant manner, since all IPS bearing a domain name were already found and replaced by Apache.

        That means that I can't even generate a dn_cache file similar to yours to check its size. I'm sorry :(

        http://griho. udl.es/webalizer /webalizer. conf.txt