Webalizer stopped webalizing!

  • John
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2006
      Machine is Fedora Core 3 with webalizer-2.01_10-25

      [joliver@ns stats]$ webalizer -v
      Webalizer V2.01-10 (Linux 2.6.12-1.1381_FC3) English
      Copyright 1997-2001 by Bradford L. Barrett

      It had been happily creating logs for some time. June 30th is the
      last day I have stats for. The web server is writing logs as always.
      There is plenty of available disk space. When I manually run
      webalizer, it sits there like it's processing everything, but doesn't
      write any files. I even moved my stats directory, created a new one,
      and ran webalizer in a "clean" environment... same problem. Nothing
      gets written. Running it with -d results in no output. Running it
      with -o specifying an output directory (rather than letting results go
      to the current working dir) doesn't help. I had a -Q and removed it,
      and now I get a message "Error: Unable to open DNS cache file
      /var/lib/webalizer/dns_cache.db"

      [joliver@ns stats]$ ls -l /var/lib/webalizer/dns_cache.db
      -rw-r--r-- 1 webalizer root 10522624 Nov 6 14:45
      /var/lib/webalizer/dns_cache.db

      Googling says that isn't a fatal message, though.

      What else could be stopping webalizer?
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2006
        Your DNS cache file is VERY BIG. How many visits do you have daily?? You should delete it and re-run webalizer and look if it creates a smaller file. My dns cache is way smaller, in spite of it processing a whole year of visits, with 4500 visits per day:

        [root@griho ~]# ls -l $(locate dns_cache)
        -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12288 ago 24 04:02 /var/lib/webalizer/dns_cache.db
        Compare my 12 KB to your 10 MB! I supose that

        a) webalizer has corrupted the file, or

        b) the cache has grown so big that webalizer is unable to handle it, and it breaks it in a way that it neither generates the stats, nor it crashes.

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 9, 2006
          --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, Enric Naval <enventa2000@...> wrote:

          > Your DNS cache file is VERY BIG. How many visits do you have daily??
          You should delete it and re-run webalizer and look if it creates a
          smaller file. My dns cache is way smaller, in spite of it processing a
          whole year of visits, with 4500 visits per day:

          > [root@griho ~]# ls -l $(locate dns_cache)
          > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12288 ago 24 04:02
          /var/lib/webalizer/dns_cache.db

          > Compare my 12 KB to your 10 MB! I supose that
          >
          > a) webalizer has corrupted the file, or
          >
          > b) the cache has grown so big that webalizer is unable to handle it,
          and it breaks it in a way that it neither generates the stats, nor it
          crashes.

          I deleted and recreated the cache file. I've been trying to re-run
          stats... I thought it was working because it was taking an
          appropriately long time to read the access_log, but it still isn't
          actually writing anything. On top of that...

          [root@ns ~]# ls -l /var/lib/webalizer/dns_cache.db
          -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 663552 Nov 9 14:39
          /var/lib/webalizer/dns_cache.db

          I already have over 600K in it, just after running with a coupld of
          access_log files that are absolutely not for very heavily-visited sites.

          So, if the cache file sare supposed to be like 12K... what's the
          problem, and how do I fix?

          I just looked at the cache file on my working server and it's 12K or so.
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 23, 2006
            Oooops, I have just opened my dns_cache.db file on emacs, and it's empty (well, it's full of strange characters, probably markings for a hash table, but there are no DNS entries on it). I have just remembered that I turned webalizer's DNS turned OFF because Apache already does the DNS queries before writing to the access_log file. That's why my dns_cache.db file is 12K big.

            This means that the size of my dns_cache.db file is not representative of yours.

            Also, since Apache has already found all existant domain names, running webalizer with DNS activated won't change my dns_cache.db file on a significant manner, since all IPS bearing a domain name were already found and replaced by Apache.

            That means that I can't even generate a dn_cache file similar to yours to check its size. I'm sorry :(

            http://griho. udl.es/webalizer /webalizer. conf.txt

[...]

            Yahoo! Music Unlimited
            Access over 1 million songs.
            http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited