hourly graph issues...

  • Tim Traver
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 12, 2006
      Hi all,

      ok, we are using webalizer, and our apache logs get rotated every 4
      hours, and webalizer gets run on them right after they are rotated.

      What we are seeing is that the hourly graph (and corresponding data) is
      being created with spikes of hits at or near the 4 hour intervals, but
      in between there are very few hits.

      I have checked the format of our log files, and all seems well, and the
      totals seem to match the daily and monthly totals. When looking at the
      log files themselves, the hits are evenly dispersed throughout the log
      file as far as hourly times...

      Is there something that I am doing when running the command that is
      causing this?

      Or maybe is this a bug of the version I have or something?

      Hmmm...while just looking, I can see that in the process of rotating the
      logs, that the file was sorted, so it is not in linear time order. But
      each line still has a proper format. would that make a difference?

      Thanks,

      Tim.
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 13, 2006
        I recall that webalizer does weird things when you don't feed the logfiles in cronological order. The symptoms are similar to what you describe. For example, I fed webalizer a file for 1st October when I had already processed December: I got a spike at 1st October, and the hits after that date don't appear correctly (they are way too low).
        You should sort the logfiles cronologically, or process them before sorting.

        Oh, and those spikes mean that all those grpahs are wrong and that to get the correct graph you'll have to process the logfiles again in cronological order, with the lines inside in the cronological order. I think that you only need to reprocess from the start of month, but I'm not sure.

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 13, 2006
          Tim Traver wrote:
          > Hmmm...while just looking, I can see that in the process of rotating the
          > logs, that the file was sorted, so it is not in linear time order. But
          > each line still has a proper format. would that make a difference?

          yes it sure will... rotate them, webalizer them and then sort and archive them if you want...

          --
          _\/
          (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA