Re: Send statistics by email

  • enventa2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 21, 2006
      Use "webalizer -h" withouth the quotes to see all switches.

      You don't need to use the command line settings. You can write a
      custom webalizer.conf file, and tell webalizer to use with the -c

      webalizer the_logfile -c webalizer_for_email.conf -o dummy_directory

      (I'm not sure if this the correct way to indicate wich logfile to use)

      Inside that webalizer_for_email.conf file you can delete all comments
      and irrelevant switches and switch off the statistics you don't need.
      The output will be on the dummy directory, which you can delete

      The problem is that webalizer will always generate a directory full
      of HTML files. You can also tell to generate also a dumping of some
      stats using the Dump* keywords DumpPath, DumpHeader, DumpSites, etc
      (look in your webalizer.conf file for explanations).

      Just curious, what "specific statistics" do you want to send by
      email? A zipped file with some of the HTML files? If you can modify C
      code, you could edit output.c and make your own output format
      (altought this is a bit overkill).

      About the schudeling, if you use Linux, you can place a script on "/
      etc/cron.weekly" (or a similar-named directory) and this script can
      launch webalizer with the adequate configuration file, zip together
      all required files, and send them using the email library on PHP.
      Notice that you can use any language on those scripts, including PHP,
      altough you normally use bash or sh or some other shell cript

      I'm not sure if executables will run on that situation. If they
      don't, you can still edit the "/etc/crontab" file, copy/paste the
      cron.weekly line and make it call your executable. You can even put
      the PHP fiel in a directory only accesible from the localhost, and
      retrieve it using wget (causing the instructions on the page to

      If you use windows, you can go the "task schudler" (not spelled that
      way), and create a new task. You can tell call any program. You can
      execute the php page calling it directly throught the php program
      "php mypage.php" or opening it "iexplore mypage.php" (this last thing
      is very messy for a lot of reasons, but it works).

      Note: rcharamella is probably using the task schudler to launch his
      Cold Fusion. You could probably launch a Flash file that then
      launches webalizer, or embed it on a web page and then execute the
      page. This is NOT recommended but it should work.

      --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "rcharamella" <rcharamella@...>