RE: [webalizer] Send statistics by email

  • Bernhard Kraus
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 19, 2006
      Hi Rocco,

      do you have access to establish a scheduled task?
      Maybe you can set up a cronjob or (for windows) a batch that calls the webalizer with certain settings at a specific time. I am a Cold Fusion developer so I can use the scheduled tasks tags to run the webalizer.exe with certain settings.

      What system you are using?

      Greetings
      Bernhard

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 19, 2006
        Bernhard,

        Yes, I can schedule cronjob. I usually program in php. Is there some
        place I can read up on what the webalizer settings are that might help
        me achieve this?

        Thanks for your assistance,
        Rocco
        --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "Bernhard Kraus" <bkraus@...> wrote:

        > Hi Rocco,
        >

        > do you have access to establish a scheduled task?
        > Maybe you can set up a cronjob or (for windows) a batch that calls the
        > webalizer with certain settings at a specific time. I am a Cold Fusion
        > developer so I can use the scheduled tasks tags to run the webalizer.exe
        > with certain settings.
        >
        > What system you are using?
        >
        > Greetings
        > Bernhard
        >

        > _____

        On Behalf
        > Of Rocco Charamella
        > Sent: Monday, September 18, 2006 10:27 PM
        > To: webalizer@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [webalizer] Send statistics by email
        >

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I've got a client who would like an application that would send them
        > specific statistics by email. There's only 4-5 metrics they want to
        > see on a weekly basis. So
        > 1) Has anyone developed something like this before? If so, where can
        > I find it?
        > 2) If not, where would I start? I'm mostly a flash developer, but the
        > sites are hosted on a vps so I do have access to the underlying
        > programing.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for your assistance.

      • enventa2000
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 21, 2006
          Use "webalizer -h" withouth the quotes to see all switches.

          You don't need to use the command line settings. You can write a
          custom webalizer.conf file, and tell webalizer to use with the -c
          switch:

          webalizer the_logfile -c webalizer_for_email.conf -o dummy_directory

          (I'm not sure if this the correct way to indicate wich logfile to use)

          Inside that webalizer_for_email.conf file you can delete all comments
          and irrelevant switches and switch off the statistics you don't need.
          The output will be on the dummy directory, which you can delete
          afterwards.

          The problem is that webalizer will always generate a directory full
          of HTML files. You can also tell to generate also a dumping of some
          stats using the Dump* keywords DumpPath, DumpHeader, DumpSites, etc
          (look in your webalizer.conf file for explanations).

          Just curious, what "specific statistics" do you want to send by
          email? A zipped file with some of the HTML files? If you can modify C
          code, you could edit output.c and make your own output format
          (altought this is a bit overkill).

          About the schudeling, if you use Linux, you can place a script on "/
          etc/cron.weekly" (or a similar-named directory) and this script can
          launch webalizer with the adequate configuration file, zip together
          all required files, and send them using the email library on PHP.
          Notice that you can use any language on those scripts, including PHP,
          altough you normally use bash or sh or some other shell cript
          language.

          I'm not sure if executables will run on that situation. If they
          don't, you can still edit the "/etc/crontab" file, copy/paste the
          cron.weekly line and make it call your executable. You can even put
          the PHP fiel in a directory only accesible from the localhost, and
          retrieve it using wget (causing the instructions on the page to
          execute).

          If you use windows, you can go the "task schudler" (not spelled that
          way), and create a new task. You can tell call any program. You can
          execute the php page calling it directly throught the php program
          "php mypage.php" or opening it "iexplore mypage.php" (this last thing
          is very messy for a lot of reasons, but it works).

          Note: rcharamella is probably using the task schudler to launch his
          Cold Fusion. You could probably launch a Flash file that then
          launches webalizer, or embed it on a web page and then execute the
          page. This is NOT recommended but it should work.

          --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "rcharamella" <rcharamella@...>