Send statistics by email

  • Rocco Charamella
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 18, 2006
      Hi all,

      I've got a client who would like an application that would send them
      specific statistics by email. There's only 4-5 metrics they want to
      see on a weekly basis. So
      1) Has anyone developed something like this before? If so, where can
      I find it?
      2) If not, where would I start? I'm mostly a flash developer, but the
      sites are hosted on a vps so I do have access to the underlying
      programing.

      Thanks in advance for your assistance.
    • Bernhard Kraus
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 19, 2006
        Hi Rocco,

        do you have access to establish a scheduled task?
        Maybe you can set up a cronjob or (for windows) a batch that calls the webalizer with certain settings at a specific time. I am a Cold Fusion developer so I can use the scheduled tasks tags to run the webalizer.exe with certain settings.

        What system you are using?

        Greetings
        Bernhard

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 19, 2006
          Bernhard,

          Yes, I can schedule cronjob. I usually program in php. Is there some
          place I can read up on what the webalizer settings are that might help
          me achieve this?

          Thanks for your assistance,
          Rocco
          --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "Bernhard Kraus" <bkraus@...> wrote:

          > Hi Rocco,
          >

          > do you have access to establish a scheduled task?
          > Maybe you can set up a cronjob or (for windows) a batch that calls the
          > webalizer with certain settings at a specific time. I am a Cold Fusion
          > developer so I can use the scheduled tasks tags to run the webalizer.exe
          > with certain settings.
          >
          > What system you are using?
          >
          > Greetings
          > Bernhard
          >

          > _____

          On Behalf
          > Of Rocco Charamella
          > Sent: Monday, September 18, 2006 10:27 PM
          > To: webalizer@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [webalizer] Send statistics by email
          >

          > Hi all,
          >
          > I've got a client who would like an application that would send them
          > specific statistics by email. There's only 4-5 metrics they want to
          > see on a weekly basis. So
          > 1) Has anyone developed something like this before? If so, where can
          > I find it?
          > 2) If not, where would I start? I'm mostly a flash developer, but the
          > sites are hosted on a vps so I do have access to the underlying
          > programing.
          >
          > Thanks in advance for your assistance.

        • enventa2000
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 21, 2006
            Use "webalizer -h" withouth the quotes to see all switches.

            You don't need to use the command line settings. You can write a
            custom webalizer.conf file, and tell webalizer to use with the -c
            switch:

            webalizer the_logfile -c webalizer_for_email.conf -o dummy_directory

            (I'm not sure if this the correct way to indicate wich logfile to use)

            Inside that webalizer_for_email.conf file you can delete all comments
            and irrelevant switches and switch off the statistics you don't need.
            The output will be on the dummy directory, which you can delete
            afterwards.

            The problem is that webalizer will always generate a directory full
            of HTML files. You can also tell to generate also a dumping of some
            stats using the Dump* keywords DumpPath, DumpHeader, DumpSites, etc
            (look in your webalizer.conf file for explanations).

            Just curious, what "specific statistics" do you want to send by
            email? A zipped file with some of the HTML files? If you can modify C
            code, you could edit output.c and make your own output format
            (altought this is a bit overkill).

            About the schudeling, if you use Linux, you can place a script on "/
            etc/cron.weekly" (or a similar-named directory) and this script can
            launch webalizer with the adequate configuration file, zip together
            all required files, and send them using the email library on PHP.
            Notice that you can use any language on those scripts, including PHP,
            altough you normally use bash or sh or some other shell cript
            language.

            I'm not sure if executables will run on that situation. If they
            don't, you can still edit the "/etc/crontab" file, copy/paste the
            cron.weekly line and make it call your executable. You can even put
            the PHP fiel in a directory only accesible from the localhost, and
            retrieve it using wget (causing the instructions on the page to
            execute).

            If you use windows, you can go the "task schudler" (not spelled that
            way), and create a new task. You can tell call any program. You can
            execute the php page calling it directly throught the php program
            "php mypage.php" or opening it "iexplore mypage.php" (this last thing
            is very messy for a lot of reasons, but it works).

            Note: rcharamella is probably using the task schudler to launch his
            Cold Fusion. You could probably launch a Flash file that then
            launches webalizer, or embed it on a web page and then execute the
            page. This is NOT recommended but it should work.

            --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "rcharamella" <rcharamella@...>