Webalizer won't work after server migration

  • vahagn_ave
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2006
      Hi!

      We have three different domains within our hosting plan. Our server
      provider dosen't separate the log information which means that I have
      to extract the specific domain traffic data and then run webalizer.

      They upgraded the server for a week ago and since that the webalizer
      has gone coocoo.

      Running the cron job

      "cd /home/users/web/b18/domainname/htdocs/stat/; /usr/bin/perl
      ./webalizer"

      results in

      "Unrecognized character \x7F at ./webalizer line 1."

      They have done some changes which means that

      "cd /home/users/web/b18/domainname/htdocs/stat/; ./webalizer"

      result in "permission denied" (which worked fine before).

      I think I got this error "Unrecognized character \x7F at ./webalizer
      line 1." when running wrong OS version of webalizer, but as far as I
      know they haven't changed the OS. And they themselves run webalizer as
      one of the two default statistics tools.

      Thankful for any help since our statistics have been off for over two
      weeks.

      BR,

      Vahagn
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2006
        > Running the cron job
        >
        > "cd /home/users/web/b18/domainname/htdocs/stat/; /usr/bin/perl
        > ./webalizer"
        >
        > results in
        >
        > "Unrecognized character \x7F at ./webalizer line 1."

        The Webalizer is not a perl script.

      • Vahagn Avedian
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2006
          Well, I know that part. But as I wrote before, running
          the line as it should be, i.e.

          "cd /home/users/web/b18/domainname/htdocs/stat/;
          ./webalizer"

          results in "permission denied".

          Is there a way to work around this? Can I call it from
          a PERL script?

          BR,

          /Vahagn

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
            > Well, I know that part. But as I wrote before, running
            > the line as it should be, i.e.
            >
            > "cd /home/users/web/b18/domainname/htdocs/stat/;
            > ./webalizer"
            >
            > results in "permission denied".

            Which is what you should fix.. either it's not marked as an executable or
            you don't have permissions to run it.

            > Is there a way to work around this?

            Fix the cause of the 'permission denied' error.

            > Can I call it from a PERL script?

            Yes.. either from the command line, such as "perl -e 'exec webalizer'"

            or with an 'exec' command within a perl script.

            Doubt it will do much good though.. if you are getting a permission denied
            error from the command line, you will get the same error trying to execute
            it from perl.