Distinguishing between server aliases?

  • Dan Makovec
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 22, 2006
      Hi all,

      I have a whole bunch of "sites" (about 3,000) that all run one set of
      PHP code, displaying different database driven content depending on
      the hostname of the URL they hit.

      Currently I have apache configured to have all of these domains on one
      server, set up as ServerAliases. I've assumed that setting up 3,000
      odd VirtualHosts would be far more taxing on Apache than this approach.

      I would like to have a screen that tells me which of the ServerAliases
      are drawing the most hits, as well as which paths as per the normal
      Webalizer functionality.

      Is there a way to get Webalizer to break down traffic based on the
      full URL (i.e. including the ServerAlias used) rather than just the
      path after the first slash in the URL?

      TIA,
    • frank
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 22, 2006
        Dan Makovec schrieb:

        >Is there a way to get Webalizer to break down traffic based on the
        >full URL (i.e. including the ServerAlias used) rather than just the
        >path after the first slash in the URL?

        No, since this information is not included in default "combined" apache
        logs.
        You'd have to tweak apache's log configuration AND webalizer's sources
        to recognize
        and process the additional fields.

        frank
      • Jose Perez
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 23, 2006
          I have the same problem
          An easy half solution for solve this is change the log format. Sustitute the
          postion for http_referer for the server alias, the problem is that you lost
          the http_referer information.

          example:
          LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%v\" \"%{User-Agent}i\"
          \"%{Cookie}i\"" combined

          where
          %v--> canonical server name

          Jose Perez