Re: [webalizer] Segmentation fault

    Message 1 of 6 , May 8, 2006
      Certain malformed user agent strings will cause a segfaut when you
      use a MangleAgent level of one (1). Has nothing to do with logfile
      name or where you specify it.

      --

      On Mon, 8 May 2006, Tom Cat wrote:

      > Well I think I've finally found some more information aboute the seg
      > faults on RHEL 3&4. The ones that segfault never have a LogFile line
      > in the configuration file (I always specifiy one on the command line).
      > The ones that don't segfault have this line, but it gets ignored
      > since I'm specifying it on the command line.
      >
      > Does this help anyone figure out how to fix the problem?

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Tom Cat
      Message 2 of 6 , May 10, 2006
        --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "Bradford L. Barrett" <brad@...> wrote:

        > Certain malformed user agent strings will cause a segfaut when you
        > use a MangleAgent level of one (1). Has nothing to do with logfile
        > name or where you specify it.

        Thanks for the answer. I tried setting MangleAgent to 0 and also to
        5. I'm still getting the segfault. :(

        Thinking it could be something in the log, I decided to try it with
        just one line in the log:
        xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - - [01/Apr/2006:00:22:30 -0500] "GET /agent/
        HTTP/1.1" 200 22473

        (I've replaced the real IP address with xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx). Ran the
        following line:

        webalizer-2.01-10/webalizer -d -p -c
        /export/home/stry_cat/w3logs/conf.test/agent/agent.conf -o
        /export/home/stry_cat/w3logs/reports.test/agent -t "agent on " -n
        mydomain.com /export/home/stry_cat/w3logs/data.test/agent/agentAPR06a.log

        And still got the segfault.

        I was about to post the conf file here too, when I noticed that I had
        the HTMLHead command on a line all by itself without anything after
        it. I commented it out and ran my test again. So far it hasn't
        segfaulted in 3 tests. I'm not going to get my hopes up and will post
        again if that doesn't seem to fix the problem.

        > --
        >
        > On Mon, 8 May 2006, Tom Cat wrote:
        >
        > > Well I think I've finally found some more information aboute the seg
        > > faults on RHEL 3&4. The ones that segfault never have a LogFile line
        > > in the configuration file (I always specifiy one on the command line).
        > > The ones that don't segfault have this line, but it gets ignored
        > > since I'm specifying it on the command line.
        > >
        > > Does this help anyone figure out how to fix the problem?

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
        > >

        > --
        > Bradford L. Barrett brad@...

      • Robin Sheat
        Message 3 of 6 , May 15, 2006
          On Tuesday 09 May 2006 06:14, Tom Cat wrote:
          > Ok not good folks.  I've just found two cases that invalidated this
          > theory.
          Have you tried making it segfault while running in strace or gdb? They may
          give you some hints about what it doing when it dies.

          --
          Robin <robin@...> JabberID: <eythian@...>

          Hostes alienigeni me abduxerunt. Qui annus est?

          PGP Key 0xA99CEB6D = 5957 6D23 8B16 EFAB FEF8 7175 14D3 6485 A99C EB6D
        • Tom Cat
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 20, 2006
            --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Cat" <stry_cat@...> wrote:

            > I was about to post the conf file here too, when I noticed that I had
            > the HTMLHead command on a line all by itself without anything after
            > it. I commented it out and ran my test again. So far it hasn't
            > segfaulted in 3 tests. I'm not going to get my hopes up and will post
            > again if that doesn't seem to fix the problem.

            Just an update on this segfault issue. I've done the monthly logs for
            all of our sites using this fix. It does seem like this workaround
            has solved the problem.

            -Tom