dbi interface for webalizer ?

  • Marius Popa
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2006
      i was thinking if is possible to replace db1 interface
      with something more portable (to other databases) like
      dbi for c
      http://freshmeat.net/projects/libdbi/

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2006
        Hello, Marius:

        This dbi project looks a little green yet. It doesn't still support nor
        mSQL nor Oracle, and it is in beta state. db1 is very old, mature,
        tested, dependable and stable. dbi probably needs a lot more of mileage
        to get most bugs sorted. It may even turn out to be a failed system,
        and get abandoned in a few years.

        Also, I think that the db1 interface is already installed by default on
        all linux distributions (and it's also present in SunOs 5.7., I don't
        know about other Unix, BSD, etc.), while dbi probably is not, and
        should have to be installed.

        So, when installing webalizer, you would need to install also dbi. This
        may be a problem, because some operative system distributions already
        include webalizer and they could refuse to include the new version
        because they don't want to install dbi for some reason.

        Also, such a change would surely require a lot of changes to the code.
        You should give very good reasons to justify it.

        Now, as an apart, and as a general rule of thumb, systems don't get
        implemented just because they're "more portable" or even "better". You
        need to give reasons that appeal to the developers, especially if the
        system already works good enough. This is my experience, at least. I
        didn't want to critizize you, I'm only pointing why your suggerence
        will surely not be accepted, not only in webalizer, but in software
        projects in general.

        http://mail.yahoo.com