Log files

  • Lisa Casey
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 16 1:02 PM

      I know this has been discussed here before, but I still don't quite
      understand... :-(

      I'm running Webalizer 2.01 with Apache2 on a FreeBSD 5.3 box. This
      box is the webserver for about a half dozen domains (each with it's
      own access/error logs) and I have a separate webalizer script for
      each of them.

      In the past (before I started using Webalizer several months ago) I
      never really worried about rotating Apache logs - when they started
      getting pretty big I'ld just stop Apache, delete them then restart
      Apache. I don't think I can do that now that I am using Webalizer
      and still maintain my Webalizer historical data (or can I?).

      I read on the Webalizer web site (or in the README) about
      incremental webalizer processing. Is this something I can implement
      on an already running webalizer setup or would I have to recompile
      and start over to do that?

      Also, what's the best way to rotate Apache logs on a FreeBSD box?
      There's a file in /etc called newsyslog.conf that rotates the system
      logs, but I don't think I can do the starting/stopping of Apache
      using it. Apache has something called rotatelogs, but it says that
      that is for "piped logs" and I really don't know what they mean by
      that.

      If someone can do it, I'ld sure appreciate info on the best way to
      rotate Apache logs without losing Webalizer data.

      Thanks,

      Lisa
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 16 1:15 PM
        > In the past (before I started using Webalizer several months ago) I
        > never really worried about rotating Apache logs - when they started
        > getting pretty big I'ld just stop Apache, delete them then restart
        > Apache. I don't think I can do that now that I am using Webalizer
        > and still maintain my Webalizer historical data (or can I?).

        Sure you can.. just add an extra step..

        Stop apache
        Process the web server logs with webalizer
        Delete the logs
        Restart apache

        > I read on the Webalizer web site (or in the README) about
        > incremental webalizer processing. Is this something I can implement
        > on an already running webalizer setup or would I have to recompile
        > and start over to do that?

        Just add 'Incremental yes' to your config file or use the '-p' command
        line option. Note: if you do the above procedure at the end of the
        month (ie: stop the web server at midnight on the last day of the
        month), then you don't need to worry about using the incremental
        option.. just do the above and you will be fine.

        > Also, what's the best way to rotate Apache logs on a FreeBSD box?

        The 'best' way is different for different people and different setups.
        Whatever works for you is generally the 'best' way for your server.

        > There's a file in /etc called newsyslog.conf that rotates the system
        > logs, but I don't think I can do the starting/stopping of Apache
        > using it. Apache has something called rotatelogs, but it says that
        > that is for "piped logs" and I really don't know what they mean by
        > that.
        >
        > If someone can do it, I'ld sure appreciate info on the best way to
        > rotate Apache logs without losing Webalizer data.

        As long as you feed all available log records through the webalizer,
        you won't lose data. Be that by the above procedure, by rotating
        and then processing, whatever.. (a sample rotate script can be found
        in the README file). Also, most people like to keep at least a month
        or more of historic logs though, just in case. I generally rotate the
        log at the end of the month, process it via the webalizer, then compress
        and archive it, keeping the last 12 months of logs on the system. Space
        limitations may prevent keeping this may archived logs, so it's really
        up to each individual installation as to how they handle them.

      • Lisa Casey
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 17 8:36 AM
          Hi Bradford,

          > Sure you can.. just add an extra step..
          >
          > Stop apache
          > Process the web server logs with webalizer
          > Delete the logs
          > Restart apache

          Thanks. That's what I needed to know. I set up a cron job to stop
          apache, process the log files, delete them then restart apache. Works
          great!

          Thanks,

          Lisa