Hits, Files, Pages and Visits

  • John Brahy
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 9 12:13 PM
      ok, I have answered similar questions to this since web sites became cool, but I've always considered files and hits to be the same thing. I know pages are defined in the config file by extention which I have .html as pages and a visit consists of a series of hits while a user is surfing the site.

      So what is the difference between a file and a hit? Is that defined somewhere?

      Thanks,

      John

      Yahoo! Mail
    • Dave Patton
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 9 12:19 PM
        John Brahy wrote:
        > ok, I have answered similar questions to this since web sites became cool, but I've always considered files and hits to be the same thing. I know pages are defined in the config file by extention which I have .html as pages and a visit consists of a series of hits while a user is surfing the site.
        >
        > So what is the difference between a file and a hit? Is that defined somewhere?

        FAQ #5:
        http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/faq.html

        --
        Dave Patton

        Co-Lead Developer, Punt
        http://punt.sourceforge.net/

        http://www.confluence.org/

        Personal website - Maps, GPS, etc.
        http://members.shaw.ca/davepatton/
      • John Brahy
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 9 12:52 PM
          that was the first place I looked... damn I completely missed it. Sorry and thank you

          Dave Patton <dpatton@...> wrote:
          John Brahy wrote:
          > ok, I have answered similar questions to this since web sites became cool, but I've always considered files and hits to be the same thing. I know pages are defined in the config file by extention which I have .html as pages and a visit consists of a series of hits while a user is surfing the site.
          >
          >   So what is the difference between a file and a hit? Is that defined somewhere?

          FAQ #5:
          http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/faq.html

          --
          Dave Patton

          Co-Lead Developer, Punt
          http://punt.sourceforge.net/

          http://www.confluence.org/

          Personal website - Maps, GPS, etc.
          http://members.shaw.ca/davepatton/

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Yahoo! Mail

        • John Brahy
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 15 4:33 PM
            Is it possible to get the average visit duration?

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 15 4:55 PM
              > Is it possible to get the average visit duration?

              Nope, that metric is impossible to determine for many different reasons.

              (Even though some would have you believe otherwise)