Re: [webalizer] need help!

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 24 12:41 AM
      I've never useb FreeBSD, but a "bus error" doesn't sound like a
      webalizer error. It looks more like some hardware error that happens to
      appear only when running webalizer.

      I have looked at the source code, and there no "bus error".

      And the only error code in webalizer with value 10 returns a different
      error message (the msg_bad_data string when restore_state() returns
      code 10).

      Execute "man 7 signal" for a description of the error codes in Unix. In
      Fedora Core 4, I can read this:

      Next the signals not in the POSIX.1 standard but described in SUSv2 and
      SUSv3 / POSIX 1003.1-2001.

      Signal Value Action Comment
      SIGBUS 10,7,10 Core Bus error (bad memory access)

      So this would be an error code returned by freebsd itself when a
      hardware error happens. Programs don't normally use this kind of
      signals. Instead, they have the signal sent to them by the operating
      system.

      Webalizer received a SIGBUS signal when accessing memory.

      In this case, webalizer probably has no handler for receiving a SIGBUS
      signal, so it just crashes and the standard signal error is shown after
      the crash.

      You could send the "core" file to the webalizer author (hint: don't
      post a core file here, they can be huge and they may have private
      information), but this is probably just a faulty memory chip or some
      other faulty part.

      Maybe webalizer is using some memory that no other program uses, or the
      other programs have a SIGBUS handler, and simply retry again until they
      succeed. This happens because many times you have a part that once in a
      while will fail, but it will work if you simply try again, like a
      drawer that keeps getting stuck sometimes, and you simply pull again.

      Was that a clear explanation? :)

      http://mail.yahoo.com