need help!

  • icelandbjrok
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 23, 2006
      hi!
      My log is very large,my operation system is Freebsd 5.4.
      There is a mistake like
      "Core was generated by `webalizer'.
      Program terminated with signal 10, Bus error.
      #0 0x4813fece in ?? ()",but there is nothing in FreeBSD 4.x

      what should I do? and How should i do ? Thanks! Weeting ...

              icelandbjrok
              icelandbjork@...
                2006-02-24
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 24, 2006
        I've never useb FreeBSD, but a "bus error" doesn't sound like a
        webalizer error. It looks more like some hardware error that happens to
        appear only when running webalizer.

        I have looked at the source code, and there no "bus error".

        And the only error code in webalizer with value 10 returns a different
        error message (the msg_bad_data string when restore_state() returns
        code 10).

        Execute "man 7 signal" for a description of the error codes in Unix. In
        Fedora Core 4, I can read this:

        Next the signals not in the POSIX.1 standard but described in SUSv2 and
        SUSv3 / POSIX 1003.1-2001.

        Signal Value Action Comment
        SIGBUS 10,7,10 Core Bus error (bad memory access)

        So this would be an error code returned by freebsd itself when a
        hardware error happens. Programs don't normally use this kind of
        signals. Instead, they have the signal sent to them by the operating
        system.

        Webalizer received a SIGBUS signal when accessing memory.

        In this case, webalizer probably has no handler for receiving a SIGBUS
        signal, so it just crashes and the standard signal error is shown after
        the crash.

        You could send the "core" file to the webalizer author (hint: don't
        post a core file here, they can be huge and they may have private
        information), but this is probably just a faulty memory chip or some
        other faulty part.

        Maybe webalizer is using some memory that no other program uses, or the
        other programs have a SIGBUS handler, and simply retry again until they
        succeed. This happens because many times you have a part that once in a
        while will fail, but it will work if you simply try again, like a
        drawer that keeps getting stuck sometimes, and you simply pull again.

        Was that a clear explanation? :)

        http://mail.yahoo.com