log entries in error

  • EB
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2006
      I see these log entries but cannot find where this is configured to
      create these files.

      Error: Unable to open file /var/log/httpd/url_200601.tab!
      Error: Unable to open file /var/log/httpd/site_200601.tab!
      Error: Unable to open file /var/log/httpd/ref_200601.tab!
      Error: Unable to open file /var/log/httpd/agent_200601.tab!

      My webalizer.conf entries --
      OutputDir /var/www/html/usage
      DumpPath /var/log/httpd

      Is it a permissions problem? It should be running as root, no?
      drwx------ 2 root root .
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 7, 2006
        I have never used the "dump" option, but those look like files created
        by webalizer with the contents of the dump (because of the "DumpPath"
        option).

        From the webalizer.conf file:

        # The Dump* keywords allow the dumping of Sites, URL's, Referrers
        # User Agents, Usernames and Search strings to seperate tab delimited
        # text files, suitable for import into most database or spreadsheet
        # programs.

        It says "tab delimited", those must be the files with .tab extension.

        You really shouldn't be dumping random files in the /var/log/httpd
        directory, because of the risk that you will accidentally overwrite
        your logfiles.

        Do you really need dump files? Maybe you activated them by accident.
        Webalizer will work just fine without them, they're just generated as a
        byproduct for importing into databases and similar.

        If you really need dump files, then create a different directory just
        for dumps or just dump in the same directory as "OutputDir" (or better
        not, since it creates a security risk because anyone visiting your
        stats could open those files by default and read all your stats in a
        easy-to-data-mine format ....).

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • greg@gmlnt.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 7, 2006

          I am away from work until 13th February 2006. In my absence, please contact the office on 01255 851 999 or 01255 672 103, or via support@....

          Regards,

          Greg.
        • EB
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 7, 2006
            I'm pretty sure this was a default setting. I guess I'll comment it
            out to see if the same error occurs.