Heard & McDonald Islands

  • guy_merritt
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2006
      Okay - I'll preface this by saying it's sort of an odd question and
      not really related to problems with Webalizer. I got a couple of
      hits this month (on one domain) from "Heard & McDonald Islands" -
      which I'd never heard of, previously. Purely out of curiosity I
      searched Google and, according to the Australian government (who lays
      claim to this God forsaken place) no one lives there (apart from some
      seemingly very happy penguins)! It's described as so remote,
      isolated, and barren (it's only 1000 kilometers north of Antartica)
      that scientific groups trek there about once every three years for
      study - and then leave.

      A couple of questions, here. Has anyone else ever gotten hits from
      this place? Why would Webalizer be configured to report hits from
      this place if there's no technological infrastructure.....nor, for
      that matter, any inhabitants?

      Since I have many domains and I've never seen this one - ever - it
      just seemed weird. And, of course, it's a web site of nothing but
      UFO-related audio interviews ripped from the web. My wife is
      convinced aliens are hitting my site - LOL!

      Seriously....how can I be getting hits from a place where virtually
      no one lives? I feel like I've just crossed over.....into the
      Twilight Zone!

      What gives?

      Thanks,

      Guy Merritt
      Flint, MI
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 28, 2006
        > A couple of questions, here. Has anyone else ever gotten hits from
        > this place? Why would Webalizer be configured to report hits from
        > this place if there's no technological infrastructure.....nor, for
        > that matter, any inhabitants?

        The webalizer just reports top level domains found in your log file.
        There is no reason to think that just because someone is using an .hm TLD
        that they are actually there. And there _is_ a technological
        infrastructure.. the .HM domain is registered and vaid, and they can give
        DNS entries to that domain to anyone they like regardless of location.
        Just like we used to host .jp and .il domains in Miami.. doesn't mean
        those domains were in Japan or Isreal.