Re: [webalizer] Monitoring just a few pages

  • Mardi Rollow
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 28, 2005
      I don't get how I process the file with the records (pages?); I looked at all the webalizer command options in the README file, and none of them seem to apply.

      Thanks,
      Mardi

      Bradford L. Barrett wrote:

      Just grep the records you want to process into a seperate file and
      process that file.

      --

      --
      Bradford L. Barrett                      brad@...
      A free electron in a sea of neutrons     DoD#1750 KD4NAW

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 28, 2005
        In webalizer.conf:

        IgnoreURL *
        IncludeURL aipo
        IncludeURL text.html
        IncludeURL /documents/exams/*

        This process only all URLs containig the word "aipo", all URLs
        containing the word "text.html" and all URLs starting with
        "/documents/exams/" (I'm not totally sure about this last one). You can
        add more lines to include more pages.

        You need one line for each option.

        This is not directory-based, it only makes matches in the URLs that it
        finds in the logfile.

        This logfile line will get included with the above configuration:

        201.244.205.211 - - [01/Dec/2005:03:42:57 +0100] "GET /ipo/test.html
        HTTP/1.1" 200 48267 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.
        0; Windows NT 5.1)"

        Webalizer will only look at the characters between the method ("GET")
        and the version ("HTTP/1.1"), and it will perform a match on those
        characters. This is important because this means that the real position
        of the pages inside the server filesystem is not important. Webazlizer
        will only look at the logfile lines.

        --- Mardi Rollow <mardirollow@...> wrote:

        > I have been asked to configure Webalizer to monitor activity for
        > three
        > specific pages, one at the site root and the other two in a
        > subdirectory. I will create a new conf file, along with separate log,
        >
        > output, etc. directories. I'm thinking of using IgnoreURL to
        > eliminate
        > the pages and directories that should not be included in the
        > analysis,
        > and have a few questions:
        >
        > 1. Is my approach feasible with Webalizer?
        >
        > 2. Can I follow a keyword such as IgnoreURL with a comma-separated
        > list,
        > or must I have a separate line for each value?
        >
        > 3. To ignore a directory and all files in it, can I use
        > directory_name/*
        > or must I use the full path?
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Mardi

      • Mardi Rollow
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 29, 2005
          Thank you; this is very helpful. I'm assuming that when you say the logfile line will get included, you mean that Webalizer does it automatically.

          Thanks again,
          Mardi