Grouping agents and referrers

  • John Oliver
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 19, 2005
      I found some long lists of "SearchEngine" and "GroupReferrer" lines that
      are intended to make the referrers and user agent lists a little more
      intuitive. However, the UserAgents are still full of:

      Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98)
      Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET
      Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)
      Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Ge
      Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Yahoo! Slurp; http://help.yahoo.com/
      Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1
      Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0)
      Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)
      Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; +http://www.google.co
      Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; .NET CLR 1

      Is there a better list out there that will "translate" those strings to
      more intuitive names?

      And the SearchEngine lines... they do seem to work half-way, but there
      are still referrer lines that are clearly engines listed, but those
      lines just didn't catch them. Again... is there a better, more
      inclusive list out there?

      * *
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 20, 2005
        For the search engines, you should ask Mr. Barret to write a better
        search engines processing, one that would allow to process several
        variables for each engine, like altavista using q=, aqa=, aqp=, aqo=,
        aqb=, filetype= and r=.

        You can look at my signature and look at the webalizer.conf I have
        compiled. It's not perfect because I can't include spaces in the user
        agents names. That's another feature request for mr Barret, if you want
        to ask him.

        --- John Oliver <joliver@...> wrote:

        > I found some long lists of "SearchEngine" and "GroupReferrer" lines
        > that
        > are intended to make the referrers and user agent lists a little more
        > intuitive. However, the UserAgents are still full of:
        >
        > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98)
        > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET
        > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)
        > Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Ge
        > Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Yahoo! Slurp; http://help.yahoo.com/
        > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1
        > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0)
        > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)
        > Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; +http://www.google.co
        > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; .NET CLR 1
        >
        > Is there a better list out there that will "translate" those strings
        > more intuitive names?
        >
        > And the SearchEngine lines... they do seem to work half-way, but
        > there
        > are still referrer lines that are clearly engines listed, but those
        > lines just didn't catch them. Again... is there a better, more
        > inclusive list out there?

        > * John Oliver http://www.john-oliver.net/
        > *
        > *
        > *

        __________________________________
        http://farechase.yahoo.com
      • Joosep-Georg Järvemaa
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2006
          --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, Enric Naval <enventa2000@...> wrote:

          > For the search engines, you should ask Mr. Barret to write a better
          > search engines processing, one that would allow to process several
          > variables for each engine, like altavista using q=, aqa=, aqp=, aqo=,
          > aqb=, filetype= and r=.

          There hasn't been much progress on this one lately?

          I took a quick look at the code and it seems it's not very hard to fix
          it but I'd better leave it someone who's more familiar with the code.

          Regards,
          --
          Joosep-Georg
        • waldo kitty
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 4, 2006
            Joosep-Georg Järvemaa wrote:
            > --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, Enric Naval <enventa2000@...> wrote:
            >> For the search engines, you should ask Mr. Barret to write a better
            >> search engines processing, one that would allow to process several
            >> variables for each engine, like altavista using q=, aqa=, aqp=, aqo=,
            >> aqb=, filetype= and r=.
            >
            > There hasn't been much progress on this one lately?
            >
            > I took a quick look at the code and it seems it's not very hard to fix
            > it but I'd better leave it someone who's more familiar with the code.

            there are other alternatives... awstats comes to mind... i use both, webalizer and awstats, as well as one or two
            others... each has their strengths and weaknesses and some show some info that others simply can't/won't... just like a
            virus scanner, i don't trust the results of only one... give me at least three so that i can take the results of at
            least two that agree...

            --
            _\/
            (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 6, 2006
              --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, waldo kitty <wkitty42@...> wrote:

              > there are other alternatives... awstats comes to mind... i use both,
              webalizer and awstats, as well as one or two
              > others... each has their strengths and weaknesses and some show some
              info that others simply can't/won't... just like a
              > virus scanner, i don't trust the results of only one... give me at
              least three so that i can take the results of at
              > least two that agree...

              Sometimes there's no possibility to use alternatives. My (and I think
              most Linux/Apache) hosting providers use Webalizer and the only
              possibility to have that SearchEngine-related (mis)behaviour fixed is
              to get Brad to patch Webalizer and then wait until it makes it to that
              distribution's repositories the hosting provider uses.

              Regards,
              --
              Joosep-Georg