webalizer reports with timezone offset

  • utdrmac
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 16, 2005
      Hey guys,
      We run our webserver in GMT mode. (Server is actually in Central (-
      6)). Is there a way to tell webalizer that it operates in GMT but to
      display results in CST?

      For example, our biggest usage is around 10AM CST. But this shows up
      in webalizer reports as 1400GMT.

      Is there a way to tell webalizer to simply subtract an arbitrary
      amount of time from the reports so they display correctly for our TZ?

      Other suggestions welcome too.

      Thanks,
      Matthew
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 16, 2005
        > Hey guys,
        > We run our webserver in GMT mode. (Server is actually in Central (-
        > 6)). Is there a way to tell webalizer that it operates in GMT but to
        > display results in CST?

        Nope.. the webalizer does not alter timestamps in any fashion.. just
        reports them as it finds them. If you run your server in GMT, and the
        logs are written with GMT times, that's what you get. Some web servers
        will allow you to change the way timestamps are written however, so you
        may be able to do something on the web server end of things depending on
        what software you are using.

      • Luc I. Suryo
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 16, 2005
          fyi: I did some modification to webalizer (long time ago) to allow this
          and it works like a charm... but this is not a supported version/hack
          and onlt tested under Solaris...

          form one of my config:

          # OffsetType defines what type of offset should be use for calculation
          # of the stats. Offset type 0=offset, 1=timezone. Depend on your need
          # using OffsetType 0 is advisable if you do not care of diff. timezones
          # use by the virtual hosts or if all virtual host are in the same
          # timezone as the system.

          OffsetType 0

          # TimeOffset defines the a mount of whole hours difference with the
          # system own timezone. So if the server is in Central Time one
          # would need to set TimeOffset -1 for sites that in Mountain Time
          # and TimeOffset 1 for sites that are in the East Time.

          TimeOffset 0

          # TimeZone is a strings display to on the stat pages but also use to calculate
          # offset if OffsetType was set to 1. So be carefull to put a correct timezone
          # Here are soem example : US/Central, America/Chicago, Europe/London, Europe/Paris
          # Using OffsetType=2 and a correcy Timezone will allow one to get the correct
          # date & time when day saving time is in use and a virtual host does not
          # have use day saving time.

          TimeZone America/Mountain

          --
          ls

          -
          From a Sun Microsystems bug report (#4102680):
          "Workaround: don't pound on the mouse like a wild monkey."
          -
        • Dave Patton [DCP]
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 16, 2005
            utdrmac wrote:
            > Hey guys,
            > We run our webserver in GMT mode. (Server is actually in Central (-
            > 6)). Is there a way to tell webalizer that it operates in GMT but to
            > display results in CST?
            >
            > For example, our biggest usage is around 10AM CST. But this shows up
            > in webalizer reports as 1400GMT.
            >
            > Is there a way to tell webalizer to simply subtract an arbitrary
            > amount of time from the reports so they display correctly for our TZ?
            >
            > Other suggestions welcome too.

            Have the script that runs webalizer first run a script/program
            against the real logfile to produce a copy with all the
            timestamps adjusted to CST, then run webalizer against
            that adjusted logfile.

            --
            Dave Patton
            http://www.confluence.org/