"Can't open log file" error messages

  • jholloway@idt-ltd.co.uk
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 22, 2001
      Hi,

      Can anyone help?

      I've seen the posting......

      --- In webalizer@y..., dht@v... wrote:
      > Just a note to everyone who has trouble to setup Webalizer on
      winNT.
      > When you remove the pound signs '#' on the line FolderLog and
      > ExtensionLog, you must also remove a space at front of this line.
      > Otherwise, you will receive error : Cannot open the log files !

      I continue to get errors even though there is no space at the start
      of the FolderLog line.

      I am currently testing the analysis of a small selection of log files
      downloaded from a web site. I am trying to use the current version
      of Webalizer converted for Windows:
      Webalizer V2.01-06 (Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 4) English

      Unfortunately regardless of the configuration parameters that I try
      I get "Error: Can't open log file" error messages.

      When I try to simply the process an individual log file:

      F:\Projects\Webalizer 201\site1>..\webalizer access0.log
      Webalizer V2.01-06 (Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 4) English
      Creating output in output
      Hostname for reports is ' '
      History file not found...
      Error: Can't open log file access0.log
      No valid records found!

      When I try to process multiple log files using the configuration file:

      F:\Projects\Webalizer 201\site1>..\webalizer
      Webalizer V2.01-06 (Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 4) English
      Creating output in output
      Hostname for reports is ' '
      History file not found...
      Error: Can't open log file logs\
      Error: Can't open log file logs\
      Error: Can't open log file logs\
      No valid records found!

      In this case there are three log files in the folder logs below the
      current
      attach point and the config file contains the lines:

      FolderLog logs\
      #ExtentionLog log

      Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

      Can anyone give me advice on the correct configuration to allow the
      manual processing of a collection of logs held in a specific folder?

      Any help or advice would be much appreciated

      Regards
      John Holloway
    • Ron Stanley
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 22, 2001
        Hi

        Check that there's a trailing "\" on the folder address

        Regards
        Ron Stanley

      • jholloway@idt-ltd.co.uk
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 22, 2001
          --- In webalizer@y..., Ron Stanley <rstanley@t...> wrote:
          > Hi
          >
          > Check that there's a trailing "\" on the folder address
          >
          > Regards
          > Ron Stanley

          Thanks Ron, but there is a trailing "\" on the FolderLog
          line. The lines in the configuration file are:

          FolderLog logs\
          #ExtentionLog log

          Cheers
          John
        • Ron Stanley
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 22, 2001
            Hi John

            You need to specify a full path to the logs eg

            FolderLog G:\TSLSit~1\Logs\Processed\

            - this is the line from our Webalizer.conf file. Just to make sure it
            worked we used the DOS 8.3 name.

            Regards
            Ron Stanley

          • jholloway@idt-ltd.co.uk
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 22, 2001
              --- In webalizer@y..., Ron Stanley <rstanley@t...> wrote:
              > Hi John
              >
              > You need to specify a full path to the logs eg
              >
              > FolderLog G:\TSLSit~1\Logs\Processed\
              >
              > - this is the line from our Webalizer.conf file. Just to make sure
              it
              > worked we used the DOS 8.3 name.
              >
              > Regards
              > Ron Stanley

              Ron, thanks for looking again.

              I've tried your suggestion of a full path to the logs.
              And just to simplify things I've put the folder at the
              top of the partition.

              The config file reads:

              FolderLog F:\logs\
              ExtentionLog log

              The new error message is:

              Impossible de lire le dossier ou il ne contient pas de fichier
              F:\logs\*.log

              Any ideas?

              Cheers
              John
            • jholloway@idt-ltd.co.uk
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 22, 2001
                Hi Ron and anyone else reading this.....

                The problem has been solved.

                Ron's suggestion that the full path was required was correct.

                My config files now contains:
                FolderLog F:\logs\
                ExtentionLog log
                and it all works.

                The last error message that I reported was down to my own
                incompetance. While trying to solve my problem, before
                trying the full path solution, I had moved the log files!
                The folder F:\logs\ did not contain the files.

                Thanks again Ron.

                And thanks to everyone associated with Webalizer.

                Regards
                John
              • Ron Stanley
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 22, 2001
                  Hi John

                  This is all very familiar. The message means "the folder or file doesn't
                  exist".

                  It can either be the log file type ( LogType ) which is used to determine
                  the name of the logfile, or if you are processing multiple sites, the
                  problem is in the ServerList text file - again this needs a full path with
                  trailing slashes.

                  The settings we are using are

                  LogType clf - typically our logs are named NC010322.log (if yours are
                  something different then try the "iis" parameter)

                  ServerList c:\Progra~1\webalizer201\Loglist.txt - this is used to process
                  multiple sites

                  The ServerList file looks like

                  TS10 E:\TrueSy~1\Logs\Processed\ E:\TrueSy~1\Logs\Output\
                  www.truesystems.co.uk
                  TS10 E:\Jackso~1\Logs\Processed\ E:\Jackso~1\Logs\Output\
                  www.jacksonscars.com

                  Hope this helps
                  Regards
                  Ron

                • Ron Stanley
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 22, 2001
                    Hi

                    Oops - looks like I was a bit too quick responding!

                    Regards
                    Ron