Can't get webalizer to run again...

  • vahagn_ave
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2005
      Hi!

      I moved our site to a new provider and now I can get the webalizer to
      run anymore. I have tried with the forum for the provider, but have
      been able to get any answers there.
      (http://forum.powweb.com/showthread.php?t=57306)

      The provider, www.powweb.com, runs webalizer, which I used initially
      after the move, but then I discovered that their configuration is
      quite different and doesn't display as many details as we had before
      and want to.

      On the previous server I had put in a cron job calling a shell script
      "createStat" which simply contained the lines:

      cd /www/username/htdocs/stats/
      ./webalizer

      But when using this line now the crontab doesn't seem to execute the
      lines, but only print those in the report email sent to me.

      I even tried to follow their instructions given according to their
      page stated in the thread above
      (http://kb.powweb.com/questions/284/Using-Webalizer) but again, the
      crontab runs, but no update is made.

      Anyone who can help me find out why I can get this working?

      Thanks,

      /Vahagn
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2005
        --- vahagn_ave <vahagn_ave@...> wrote:

        > Hi!
        >
        > I moved our site to a new provider and now I can get
        > the webalizer to
        > run anymore. I have tried with the forum for the
        > provider, but have
        > been able to get any answers there.
        > (http://forum.powweb.com/showthread.php?t=57306)
        >
        > The provider, www.powweb.com, runs webalizer, which
        > I used initially
        > after the move, but then I discovered that their
        > configuration is
        > quite different and doesn't display as many details
        > as we had before
        > and want to.
        >
        > On the previous server I had put in a cron job
        > calling a shell script
        > "createStat" which simply contained the lines:
        >
        > cd /www/username/htdocs/stats/
        > ./webalizer

        In the very first line, you should write:

        #!/bin/bash

        It's not necessary, but still you should always
        indicate the code interpreter (in this case
        "/bin/bash")....

        > But when using this line now the crontab doesn't
        > seem to execute the
        > lines, but only print those in the report email sent
        > to me.
        >
        > I even tried to follow their instructions given
        > according to their
        > page stated in the thread above
        > (http://kb.powweb.com/questions/284/Using-Webalizer)
        > but again, the
        > crontab runs, but no update is made.

        After creating that webalizer.conf file, did you still
        get the exact same message from cron?

        "Creating output in current directory" should have
        change, because now you would have an OutputDir entry
        in webalizer.conf

        Also, indicate the webalizer.conf location using

        ./webalizer -c /www/u/username/etc/webalizer.conf

        > Anyone who can help me find out why I can get this
        > working?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > /Vahagn

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Vahagn Avedian
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 8, 2005
          Thanks for the help!

          It needed some further modifications, among others I had to change /bin/bash to /bin/sh and change the .conf file a bit but it works now to use my own webalizer instead of their installed one.

          Cheers,

          /Vahagn

          http://mail.yahoo.com