Re: [webalizer] Problems with Truncating oversized referrer

  • Colonel Angel
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 29, 2005
      I'm running Mandrake 9.2 with the latest Apache. I
      have 'Webmin' installed and able to access the server
      via local area network.

      I'm not sure if it's able to complete the full
      functionality of what you are wanting or needing to
      do, but... It does have a file manager included that
      you can directly edit files on the server.

      While I don't know of anything else such as you are
      suggesting, at least you could look at it and see if
      it fits your needs. It's a great way to control the
      server remotely without TightVNC or another type of
      oIP program.

      You can Google search Webmin, it's the first site that
      appears.

      As far as the binary compiling of Webalizer, you can
      directly edit the 'webalizer.conf', and keep a backup
      copy of it so all you have to do is make the necessary
      changes, then upload it to the directory you have
      listed for the conf file.

      I have backup copies of all necessary conf files on my
      regular computer that I use in case I happen to do
      something and screwup the regular conf file.

      You may even be able to adjust the Webalizer Module on
      Webmin to assist you in making changes to the
      'webalizer.conf'. It may take some manual configuring
      of the CGI to handle the updated version of the
      Webalizer Module.

      Anyway... Just some thoughts...

      SwtDivaLove

      --- "William L. Thomson Jr."
      <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

      > Well I run Gentoo so I am always installing
      > Webalizer via sources and
      > compiling. However making that change is going to be
      > a total pain. I
      > wonder if in the future either via the .conf files
      > or command line etc.
      > One can adjust that without having to deal with
      > changes in the binary
      > itself.
      >
      > Much easier said then done, because I am sure it has
      > everything to do
      > with memory allocation and etc. However I do think
      > this will be a
      > growing problem for others as well.
      >
      > I can hack, fix my install for now. But I think
      > others will be effected
      > as well. They just might not know it yet. I run
      > webalizer via cron, and
      > the output is emailed to me nightly. I am not sure
      > others monitor
      > webalizer like that if at all?
      >

      > --
      > Sincerely,
      > William L. Thomson Jr.
      > Support Group
      > Obsidian-Studios, Inc.
      > http://www.obsidian-studios.com

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • William L. Thomson Jr.
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 29, 2005
        On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 13:32 -0700, Colonel Angel wrote:

        > I'm not sure if it's able to complete the full
        > functionality of what you are wanting or needing to
        > do, but... It does have a file manager included that
        > you can directly edit files on the server.

        I ssh into the box? I have total access to everything. :)

        > While I don't know of anything else such as you are
        > suggesting, at least you could look at it and see if
        > it fits your needs. It's a great way to control the
        > server remotely without TightVNC or another type of
        > oIP program.

        I admin my servers directly no need for Webmin. I run dedicated servers,
        so Webmin is not really practical as it requires apache on all machines.
        None of my servers run X, so there is not GUI to VNC with.

        ssh is perfectly fine no problems there.

        > As far as the binary compiling of Webalizer, you can
        > directly edit the 'webalizer.conf', and keep a backup
        > copy of it so all you have to do is make the necessary
        > changes, then upload it to the directory you have
        > listed for the conf file.

        The problem is I have to increase the buffer size. Gentoo fetches and
        builds everything by source. So if I needed upgrade webalizer I just

        emerge -u webalizer

        or just

        emerge webalizer

        Now I will have to interrupt that process or tweak and package sources
        to allow portage to do it's job with compiling and installing. Not
        impossible but a bit difficult.