Re: [webalizer] Problems with Truncating oversized referrer

  • waldo kitty
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 29, 2005
      Enric Naval wrote:
      > Hello:
      >
      > you can donwload the source code, then change these
      > values in webalizer.c and then compile webalizer and
      > execute the compiled version:
      >

      > #define MAXREF 1024 /* Max referrer
      > field size */
      > #define MAXREFH 128 /* Max referrer
      > field size in htab */

      exactly what i was thinking of... thanks for digging it out and showing it...

      > You can set both MAXREF and MAXREFH to 2048 and
      > recompile webalizer. This way it will process 2048
      > characters in the referrer field. Webalizer will go a
      > little bit slower.
      >

      > #define MAXREF 2048 /* Max referrer
      > field size */
      > #define MAXREFH 2048 /* Max referrer
      > field size in htab */
      >

      > With the new format for ebay, you can group like this:
      >
      > GroupReferrer itemZ4560520029 aluminum-rims-4-Harley
      > HideReferrer itemZ4560520029
      >
      > to group all items like this one:
      >
      > http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EP4606-19-16-aluminum-rims-4-Harley-Indian-wheels_W0QQitemZ4560520029QQcategoryZ35557QQrdZ1QQcmd

      interesting... i hadn't actually looked that deeply into the posted referrer line(s)... i also wasn't really that aware
      that you could group on substrings within the referrer field...

      > And of course, you can group all those stupid blocked
      > referres, so they use only one line in the top
      > referrer list:
      >
      > GroupReferrer XXXX:+++++++++++++ Blocked Referrer
      > HideReferrer XXXX:+++++++++++++

      i agree on this... however, the ones that i see are variable numbers of +'s and i've yet to find a way for webalizer to
      take regex's for pattern matching in several areas that their use would be a big help...

      --
      _\/
      (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 29, 2005
        > > With the new format for ebay, you can group like
        > this:
        > >
        > > GroupReferrer itemZ4560520029
        > aluminum-rims-4-Harley
        > > HideReferrer itemZ4560520029
        > >
        > > to group all items like this one:

        http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EP4606-19-16-aluminum-rims-4-Harley-Indian-wheels_W0QQitemZ4560520029QQcategoryZ35557QQrdZ1QQcmd

        > interesting... i hadn't actually looked that deeply
        > into the posted referrer line(s)... i also wasn't
        > really that aware
        > that you could group on substrings within the
        > referrer field...

        You can match anything before the query string.
        Webalizer stops at the first "?" character in the
        referrer. That's why with the old format he could only
        see the ebay domain and the auction page name. The
        rest of the information was after the "?" character,
        and webalizer stripped it away.

        > > And of course, you can group all those stupid
        > blocked
        > > referres, so they use only one line in the top
        > > referrer list:
        > >
        > > GroupReferrer XXXX:+++++++++++++ Blocked
        > Referrer
        > > HideReferrer XXXX:+++++++++++++
        >
        > i agree on this... however, the ones that i see are
        > variable numbers of +'s and i've yet to find a way
        > for webalizer to
        > take regex's for pattern matching in several areas
        > that their use would be a big help...

        GroupReferrer matches substrings, so, in this example,
        all blocked referrers containing at least 13 +'s will
        be matched. This will match all those pesky referrers,
        because all of them have more than 13 +'s :)

        I would also like to have regexp in webalizer :(

        > --
        > _\/
        > (@@) Waldo Kitty,
        > Waldo's Place USA
        > __ooO_( )_Ooo_____________________
        > telnet://bbs.wpusa.dynip.com
        > _|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____
        > http://www.wpusa.dynip.com
        > ____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____
        > ftp://ftp.wpusa.dynip.com
        > _|_Eat_SPAM_to_email_me!_YUM!__|_____|_____ wkitty42
        > -at- alltel.net

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • William L. Thomson Jr.
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 29, 2005
          Well I run Gentoo so I am always installing Webalizer via sources and
          compiling. However making that change is going to be a total pain. I
          wonder if in the future either via the .conf files or command line etc.
          One can adjust that without having to deal with changes in the binary
          itself.

          Much easier said then done, because I am sure it has everything to do
          with memory allocation and etc. However I do think this will be a
          growing problem for others as well.

          I can hack, fix my install for now. But I think others will be effected
          as well. They just might not know it yet. I run webalizer via cron, and
          the output is emailed to me nightly. I am not sure others monitor
          webalizer like that if at all?

          --
          Sincerely,
          William L. Thomson Jr.
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 29, 2005
            I'm running Mandrake 9.2 with the latest Apache. I
            have 'Webmin' installed and able to access the server
            via local area network.

            I'm not sure if it's able to complete the full
            functionality of what you are wanting or needing to
            do, but... It does have a file manager included that
            you can directly edit files on the server.

            While I don't know of anything else such as you are
            suggesting, at least you could look at it and see if
            it fits your needs. It's a great way to control the
            server remotely without TightVNC or another type of
            oIP program.

            You can Google search Webmin, it's the first site that
            appears.

            As far as the binary compiling of Webalizer, you can
            directly edit the 'webalizer.conf', and keep a backup
            copy of it so all you have to do is make the necessary
            changes, then upload it to the directory you have
            listed for the conf file.

            I have backup copies of all necessary conf files on my
            regular computer that I use in case I happen to do
            something and screwup the regular conf file.

            You may even be able to adjust the Webalizer Module on
            Webmin to assist you in making changes to the
            'webalizer.conf'. It may take some manual configuring
            of the CGI to handle the updated version of the
            Webalizer Module.

            Anyway... Just some thoughts...

            SwtDivaLove

            --- "William L. Thomson Jr."
            <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

            > Well I run Gentoo so I am always installing
            > Webalizer via sources and
            > compiling. However making that change is going to be
            > a total pain. I
            > wonder if in the future either via the .conf files
            > or command line etc.
            > One can adjust that without having to deal with
            > changes in the binary
            > itself.
            >
            > Much easier said then done, because I am sure it has
            > everything to do
            > with memory allocation and etc. However I do think
            > this will be a
            > growing problem for others as well.
            >
            > I can hack, fix my install for now. But I think
            > others will be effected
            > as well. They just might not know it yet. I run
            > webalizer via cron, and
            > the output is emailed to me nightly. I am not sure
            > others monitor
            > webalizer like that if at all?
            >

            > --
            > Sincerely,
            > William L. Thomson Jr.
            > Support Group
            > Obsidian-Studios, Inc.
            > http://www.obsidian-studios.com

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • William L. Thomson Jr.
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 29, 2005
              On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 13:32 -0700, Colonel Angel wrote:

              > I'm not sure if it's able to complete the full
              > functionality of what you are wanting or needing to
              > do, but... It does have a file manager included that
              > you can directly edit files on the server.

              I ssh into the box? I have total access to everything. :)

              > While I don't know of anything else such as you are
              > suggesting, at least you could look at it and see if
              > it fits your needs. It's a great way to control the
              > server remotely without TightVNC or another type of
              > oIP program.

              I admin my servers directly no need for Webmin. I run dedicated servers,
              so Webmin is not really practical as it requires apache on all machines.
              None of my servers run X, so there is not GUI to VNC with.

              ssh is perfectly fine no problems there.

              > As far as the binary compiling of Webalizer, you can
              > directly edit the 'webalizer.conf', and keep a backup
              > copy of it so all you have to do is make the necessary
              > changes, then upload it to the directory you have
              > listed for the conf file.

              The problem is I have to increase the buffer size. Gentoo fetches and
              builds everything by source. So if I needed upgrade webalizer I just

              emerge -u webalizer

              or just

              emerge webalizer

              Now I will have to interrupt that process or tweak and package sources
              to allow portage to do it's job with compiling and installing. Not
              impossible but a bit difficult.