Re: [webalizer] Problems with Truncating oversized referrer

  • William L. Thomson Jr.
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 28, 2005
      The problem is getting larger by day it seems. Today over 6000 truncated
      oversized referrers.

      On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 22:18 -0400, waldo kitty wrote:
      > William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
      > > Ok I have a growing problem. One of the sites I host has allot of eBay
      > > auctions. I am starting to see urls like this in the logs
      > >
      > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EP4606-19-16-aluminum-rims-4-Harley-Indian-wheels_W0QQitemZ4560520029QQcategoryZ35557QQrdZ1QQcmd
      > >
      > > I believe even longer ones as well. I am getting
      >
      > where are you seeing these?? in the referrer field??

      Yes and I believe it's entirely eBay related. They seem to have changed
      their format recently. No more ? and params following a file, dll, etc.
      Seems they are parsing it via some other means but it's creating huge
      refers.

      > > Warning: Truncating oversized referrer field
      >
      > TTBOMK, there's really only so much of the referrer field that webalizer uses... however, there have been posts with
      > info on how to enlarge the buffer(s) and recompile webalizer...

      I can look into doing that but I assume it will be effecting others as
      well. eBay + webalizer = problem. Just my assumptions so far. I will see
      if I can fit some time in tomorrow to run some tests.

      > > On avg around 3000 times when running Webalizer daily via cron.
      > >
      > > I am also seeing stuff like XXXX:+++++++ with a ton of ++++ but not as
      > > many and I am not sure if that is a problem or not.
      >
      > this is generally due to users using some sort of anonymizing service or proxy to block the referring site they came
      > from... on my site, i (try) to specifically block these with a rewrite rule in my apache... the rewrite rule basically
      > redirects them to a page that tells them to stop blocking their referrer so that they will be able to access the site as
      > intended... i've many pages that require they be accessed from internal urls and they are disallowed if accessed from
      > externals...

      Yes I will look into that, but seems I have much less of those than the
      eBay ones. It's only effecting one site at the moment, mainly because
      that site does allot with eBay.

      It's data I do want in webalizer because it allows me to track that they
      did come from eBay and etc. In fact with their new format, I will know
      even more. Instead of just

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll

      I am pretty sure it's eBay because the webalizer is starting to show
      more and more of the smaller ones. The larger longer ones not so much.

      In fact it might be part of eBays switch to Sun servers and etc,
      obviously the above or old ones were Windows. Glad they made the switch,
      but it's wrecking havoc on webalizer :)

      --
      Sincerely,
      William L. Thomson Jr.
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 28, 2005
        It is possible to group by domain name only without
        the long referrnce line. It's in the webalizer.conf
        file itself.

        I'm sure you don't need the full referrence line, so
        you should be able to group it by domain instead.

        I could be wrong, but... I believe it's possible.

        Angel

        --- "William L. Thomson Jr."

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • William L. Thomson Jr.
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 28, 2005
          On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 22:07 -0700, Colonel Angel wrote:
          > It is possible to group by domain name only without
          > the long referrnce line. It's in the webalizer.conf
          > file itself.

          A possible solution.

          > I'm sure you don't need the full referrence line, so
          > you should be able to group it by domain instead.

          I do want the information. Before with eBay there would be no way to
          tell what item, items were more popular etc. Viewed more, less, etc. I
          am happy their new format has changed that so I can see how much traffic
          certain auctions, items, etc are generating.

          Before I would just know that x number came from here
          http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll

          Now I know exactly where they came from, which I do like.

          > I could be wrong, but... I believe it's possible.

          Yes but with data loss. I have a feeling this is going to start
          effecting others as well. I am sure there are other sites out there
          listing stuff on eBay and running webalizer.

          Thanks for the suggestion. Will take it into consideration.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 29, 2005
            Hello:

            you can donwload the source code, then change these
            values in webalizer.c and then compile webalizer and
            execute the compiled version:

            #define MAXREF 1024 /* Max referrer
            field size */
            #define MAXREFH 128 /* Max referrer
            field size in htab */

            You can set both MAXREF and MAXREFH to 2048 and
            recompile webalizer. This way it will process 2048
            characters in the referrer field. Webalizer will go a
            little bit slower.

            #define MAXREF 2048 /* Max referrer
            field size */
            #define MAXREFH 2048 /* Max referrer
            field size in htab */

            With the new format for ebay, you can group like this:

            GroupReferrer itemZ4560520029 aluminum-rims-4-Harley
            HideReferrer itemZ4560520029

            to group all items like this one:

            http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EP4606-19-16-aluminum-rims-4-Harley-Indian-wheels_W0QQitemZ4560520029QQcategoryZ35557QQrdZ1QQcmd

            And of course, you can group all those stupid blocked
            referres, so they use only one line in the top
            referrer list:

            GroupReferrer XXXX:+++++++++++++ Blocked Referrer
            HideReferrer XXXX:+++++++++++++

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • waldo kitty
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 29, 2005
              Colonel Angel wrote:
              > It is possible to group by domain name only without
              > the long referrnce line. It's in the webalizer.conf
              > file itself.
              >
              > I'm sure you don't need the full referrence line, so
              > you should be able to group it by domain instead.

              i think that the actual intended result is to be able to tell which auction the hits are coming from so that they can
              manage the auctions better... i don't think it has anything to do with grouping hits by domain or such...

              _\/
              (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
            • waldo kitty
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 29, 2005
                Enric Naval wrote:
                > Hello:
                >
                > you can donwload the source code, then change these
                > values in webalizer.c and then compile webalizer and
                > execute the compiled version:
                >

                > #define MAXREF 1024 /* Max referrer
                > field size */
                > #define MAXREFH 128 /* Max referrer
                > field size in htab */

                exactly what i was thinking of... thanks for digging it out and showing it...

                > You can set both MAXREF and MAXREFH to 2048 and
                > recompile webalizer. This way it will process 2048
                > characters in the referrer field. Webalizer will go a
                > little bit slower.
                >

                > #define MAXREF 2048 /* Max referrer
                > field size */
                > #define MAXREFH 2048 /* Max referrer
                > field size in htab */
                >

                > With the new format for ebay, you can group like this:
                >
                > GroupReferrer itemZ4560520029 aluminum-rims-4-Harley
                > HideReferrer itemZ4560520029
                >
                > to group all items like this one:
                >
                > http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EP4606-19-16-aluminum-rims-4-Harley-Indian-wheels_W0QQitemZ4560520029QQcategoryZ35557QQrdZ1QQcmd

                interesting... i hadn't actually looked that deeply into the posted referrer line(s)... i also wasn't really that aware
                that you could group on substrings within the referrer field...

                > And of course, you can group all those stupid blocked
                > referres, so they use only one line in the top
                > referrer list:
                >
                > GroupReferrer XXXX:+++++++++++++ Blocked Referrer
                > HideReferrer XXXX:+++++++++++++

                i agree on this... however, the ones that i see are variable numbers of +'s and i've yet to find a way for webalizer to
                take regex's for pattern matching in several areas that their use would be a big help...

                --
                _\/
                (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 29, 2005
                  > > With the new format for ebay, you can group like
                  > this:
                  > >
                  > > GroupReferrer itemZ4560520029
                  > aluminum-rims-4-Harley
                  > > HideReferrer itemZ4560520029
                  > >
                  > > to group all items like this one:

                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EP4606-19-16-aluminum-rims-4-Harley-Indian-wheels_W0QQitemZ4560520029QQcategoryZ35557QQrdZ1QQcmd

                  > interesting... i hadn't actually looked that deeply
                  > into the posted referrer line(s)... i also wasn't
                  > really that aware
                  > that you could group on substrings within the
                  > referrer field...

                  You can match anything before the query string.
                  Webalizer stops at the first "?" character in the
                  referrer. That's why with the old format he could only
                  see the ebay domain and the auction page name. The
                  rest of the information was after the "?" character,
                  and webalizer stripped it away.

                  > > And of course, you can group all those stupid
                  > blocked
                  > > referres, so they use only one line in the top
                  > > referrer list:
                  > >
                  > > GroupReferrer XXXX:+++++++++++++ Blocked
                  > Referrer
                  > > HideReferrer XXXX:+++++++++++++
                  >
                  > i agree on this... however, the ones that i see are
                  > variable numbers of +'s and i've yet to find a way
                  > for webalizer to
                  > take regex's for pattern matching in several areas
                  > that their use would be a big help...

                  GroupReferrer matches substrings, so, in this example,
                  all blocked referrers containing at least 13 +'s will
                  be matched. This will match all those pesky referrers,
                  because all of them have more than 13 +'s :)

                  I would also like to have regexp in webalizer :(

                  > --
                  > _\/
                  > (@@) Waldo Kitty,
                  > Waldo's Place USA
                  > __ooO_( )_Ooo_____________________
                  > telnet://bbs.wpusa.dynip.com
                  > _|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____
                  > http://www.wpusa.dynip.com
                  > ____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____
                  > ftp://ftp.wpusa.dynip.com
                  > _|_Eat_SPAM_to_email_me!_YUM!__|_____|_____ wkitty42
                  > -at- alltel.net

                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                • William L. Thomson Jr.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 29, 2005
                    Well I run Gentoo so I am always installing Webalizer via sources and
                    compiling. However making that change is going to be a total pain. I
                    wonder if in the future either via the .conf files or command line etc.
                    One can adjust that without having to deal with changes in the binary
                    itself.

                    Much easier said then done, because I am sure it has everything to do
                    with memory allocation and etc. However I do think this will be a
                    growing problem for others as well.

                    I can hack, fix my install for now. But I think others will be effected
                    as well. They just might not know it yet. I run webalizer via cron, and
                    the output is emailed to me nightly. I am not sure others monitor
                    webalizer like that if at all?

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 29, 2005
                      I'm running Mandrake 9.2 with the latest Apache. I
                      have 'Webmin' installed and able to access the server
                      via local area network.

                      I'm not sure if it's able to complete the full
                      functionality of what you are wanting or needing to
                      do, but... It does have a file manager included that
                      you can directly edit files on the server.

                      While I don't know of anything else such as you are
                      suggesting, at least you could look at it and see if
                      it fits your needs. It's a great way to control the
                      server remotely without TightVNC or another type of
                      oIP program.

                      You can Google search Webmin, it's the first site that
                      appears.

                      As far as the binary compiling of Webalizer, you can
                      directly edit the 'webalizer.conf', and keep a backup
                      copy of it so all you have to do is make the necessary
                      changes, then upload it to the directory you have
                      listed for the conf file.

                      I have backup copies of all necessary conf files on my
                      regular computer that I use in case I happen to do
                      something and screwup the regular conf file.

                      You may even be able to adjust the Webalizer Module on
                      Webmin to assist you in making changes to the
                      'webalizer.conf'. It may take some manual configuring
                      of the CGI to handle the updated version of the
                      Webalizer Module.

                      Anyway... Just some thoughts...

                      SwtDivaLove

                      --- "William L. Thomson Jr."

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 29, 2005
                        On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 13:32 -0700, Colonel Angel wrote:

                        > I'm not sure if it's able to complete the full
                        > functionality of what you are wanting or needing to
                        > do, but... It does have a file manager included that
                        > you can directly edit files on the server.

                        I ssh into the box? I have total access to everything. :)

                        > While I don't know of anything else such as you are
                        > suggesting, at least you could look at it and see if
                        > it fits your needs. It's a great way to control the
                        > server remotely without TightVNC or another type of
                        > oIP program.

                        I admin my servers directly no need for Webmin. I run dedicated servers,
                        so Webmin is not really practical as it requires apache on all machines.
                        None of my servers run X, so there is not GUI to VNC with.

                        ssh is perfectly fine no problems there.

                        > As far as the binary compiling of Webalizer, you can
                        > directly edit the 'webalizer.conf', and keep a backup
                        > copy of it so all you have to do is make the necessary
                        > changes, then upload it to the directory you have
                        > listed for the conf file.

                        The problem is I have to increase the buffer size. Gentoo fetches and
                        builds everything by source. So if I needed upgrade webalizer I just

                        emerge -u webalizer

                        or just

                        emerge webalizer

                        Now I will have to interrupt that process or tweak and package sources
                        to allow portage to do it's job with compiling and installing. Not
                        impossible but a bit difficult.