Re: [webalizer] treating same file in two different directories as one

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 19, 2005
      I suggest that you use the ReWriteEngine in the apache
      server (I'm not sure whether you have to use "\." or
      "." )

      RewriteEngine On
      RewriteRule ^/parents/viewactivity/(.+)\.jsp
      /parents/viewactivity.jsp?eid=$1 [L]
      RewriteRule ^/kids/viewactivity/(.+)\.jsp
      /kids/viewactivity.jsp?eid=$1 [L]

      This way, when you visit:

      www.domain.com/parents/viewactivity/222.jsp

      you get invisibily redirected to:

      www.domain.com/parents/viewactivity.jsp?eid=222

      You then make all your pages to link to
      viewactivity/xxx.jsp, and your users will never notice
      they are using a dynamic page.

      The [L] is to tell apache to stop loking for more
      RewriteRules and send already the answer to the
      visitor. To show the redirection to the visitors, you
      add [R] in this way: [R,L]. You probably don't want to
      use [R].

      Also, very important. BY DOING THIS YOU GET A GREATER
      PAGERANK IN GOOGLE AND THE SPIDERS WILL VISIT MORE
      YOUR PAGE. I used this in the pdf files for a
      congress, and I doubled the visits to the page
      overnight. The spiders are deceived into believing
      that you are giving them static content, which they
      like better than dynamic content. Also, remember to
      use normal links instead of a submit button in a from
      or a javascript code.

      If you can't change that and you MUST use webalizer to
      do this, then I believe it is done this way.

      First you will need to add "?" to the isurlchar
      function and recompile webalizer (otherwise, the
      ?id=xxx part will be cut away by webalizer). Also,
      webalizer will then not be able to find which search
      strings have been used by visitors from the search
      engines.

      GroupURL viewactivity.jsp?eid=222
      viewactivity.jsp?eid=222
      HideURL viewactivity.jsp?eid=222

      You'll have to put all of them one by one.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 20, 2005
        Sorry, this didn't do exactly what you were asking
        for, and the apache code was wrong, because I didn't
        match correctly the query string :( I hope this time
        it's correct.

        To get webalizer to group correctly you have to apply
        a more complicated rule (the RewriteRule lines are in
        one single line. I have cut it in half to fit the
        message width):

        RewriteEngine On
        RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^type=(.*)
        RewriteRule ^/viewactivity/(.+)\.jsp
        /%1/viewactivity.jsp?eid=$1 [L]

        This redirects transparently from ...

        www.domain.com/viewactivity/222.jsp?type=parents

        ... to ...

        www.domain.com/parents/viewactivity.jsp?eid=222

        (notice how "kids" and "parents" have become a data
        you send in the query string, instead of being inside
        the url. You have to update all links in your website
        acordingly)

        In webalizer all activities with the same "eid" will
        now appear together, with no extra configuration.

        If you do this outside a <Directory> container, then
        inside your <Directory> container you have to put:

        RewriteEngine On
        RewriteOptions inherit

        So that apache will allow that directory to use the
        rewrite engine.

        The "%1" is the first "(.+)" or "(.*)" from the
        RewriteCond, and the "$1" is the first "(.+)" or
        "(.*)" from the first part of the RewriteRule line.
        You can later add %2, %3, etc. The "^" means "start of
        line"

        Now, you will have people still going to the old
        adresses, so you want to redirect them to the "new"
        addresses. You would then add this:

        RewriteEngine On
        RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^type=(.*)
        RewriteRule ^/viewactivity/(.+)\.jsp
        /%1/viewactivity.jsp?eid=$1 [L]
        RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^eid=(.*)
        RewriteRule ^/(.+)/viewactivity.jsp
        /viewactivity/%1.jsp?type=$1 [R=301,L]

        In this case we want to let the visitors know that
        they are being redirected to the "new" place, so we
        send a 301 (permanent) redirection.

        This way, also, the search engines won't penalize you
        because of having duplicate content
        ("viewactivity/222.jsp" now has the same content as
        "viewactivity.jsp?eid=222", and you would receive a
        penalization because the engine thinks that you are
        trying to fill it with duplicate content)

        Please let me know if it works for you, or if you find
        some error in the code.

        If you need to add more items in the query string,
        then you'll need even more RewriteRule lines:

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 20, 2005
          The last one, I promise.

          RewriteEngine On
          RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} type=([^&]+)&(.*)
          RewriteRule ^/viewactivity/(.+)\.jsp
          /%1/viewactivity.jsp?eid=$1%2 [L]
          RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} type=(.*)
          RewriteRule ^/viewactivity/(.+)\.jsp
          /%1/viewactivity.jsp?eid=$1 [L]
          RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} eid=([^&]+)&(.*)
          RewriteRule ^/(.+)/viewactivity.jsp
          /viewactivity/%1.jsp?type=$1&%2 [R=301,L]
          RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} eid=(.*)
          RewriteRule ^/(.+)/viewactivity.jsp
          /viewactivity/%1.jsp?type=$1 [R=301,L]

          It redirects from ...

          /kids/viewactivity.jsp?eid=222&other=world

          ... to ...

          /viewactivity/222.jsp?type=kids&other=world

          Now the looooong explanation: this does everything I
          said, and preserves the query string that goes after
          type=xxxx and eid=xxxxx. "([^&]+)" means to match
          anything until you hit a "&" character and group it
          inside "%1". There are two groups of RewriteCond, the
          only difference is the "([^&]+)&(.*)" at the end. The
          first tells apache to stop before the first "&" and
          then forcefully find a "&" character and group
          everything after the "&" in "%2". All matching visits
          matching the second line has no "&", so there is only
          one parameter in the query string, so you can dump
          everything inside "%1" using "(.*)".

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • neobot85
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 20, 2005
            Thank you Enric! It worked exactly as I wanted. =)

            I appreciate your help.