treating same file in two different directories as one

  • neobot85
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 19 8:00 PM

      I'm helping develop a site that has two different interfaces - a
      parents and a kids. The site is essentially identical in both
      interfaces, except for some style sheet changes - there are just a
      different set of pages in two directories.

      The site lists activities through a page called
      viewactivity.jsp.....so let's say we wanted to view activity #222 we
      would go to viewactivity.jsp?eid=222.

      Now, what we'd like to do is display viewing an activity as one hit,
      regardless of which interface we're on.

      So, for example, we wouldn't want:

      /parents/viewactivity.jsp?eid=222 25
      /kids/viewactivity.jsp?eid=222 25

      to show up (as it does now). We'd like

      viewactivity.jsp?eid=222 50

      with the number of counts for the two different directories combined.

      Is there any way to do this?

      Thanks for any suggestions!
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 19 10:12 PM
        I suggest that you use the ReWriteEngine in the apache
        server (I'm not sure whether you have to use "\." or
        "." )

        RewriteEngine On
        RewriteRule ^/parents/viewactivity/(.+)\.jsp
        /parents/viewactivity.jsp?eid=$1 [L]
        RewriteRule ^/kids/viewactivity/(.+)\.jsp
        /kids/viewactivity.jsp?eid=$1 [L]

        This way, when you visit:

        www.domain.com/parents/viewactivity/222.jsp

        you get invisibily redirected to:

        www.domain.com/parents/viewactivity.jsp?eid=222

        You then make all your pages to link to
        viewactivity/xxx.jsp, and your users will never notice
        they are using a dynamic page.

        The [L] is to tell apache to stop loking for more
        RewriteRules and send already the answer to the
        visitor. To show the redirection to the visitors, you
        add [R] in this way: [R,L]. You probably don't want to
        use [R].

        Also, very important. BY DOING THIS YOU GET A GREATER
        PAGERANK IN GOOGLE AND THE SPIDERS WILL VISIT MORE
        YOUR PAGE. I used this in the pdf files for a
        congress, and I doubled the visits to the page
        overnight. The spiders are deceived into believing
        that you are giving them static content, which they
        like better than dynamic content. Also, remember to
        use normal links instead of a submit button in a from
        or a javascript code.

        If you can't change that and you MUST use webalizer to
        do this, then I believe it is done this way.

        First you will need to add "?" to the isurlchar
        function and recompile webalizer (otherwise, the
        ?id=xxx part will be cut away by webalizer). Also,
        webalizer will then not be able to find which search
        strings have been used by visitors from the search
        engines.

        GroupURL viewactivity.jsp?eid=222
        viewactivity.jsp?eid=222
        HideURL viewactivity.jsp?eid=222

        You'll have to put all of them one by one.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 20 1:12 AM
          Sorry, this didn't do exactly what you were asking
          for, and the apache code was wrong, because I didn't
          match correctly the query string :( I hope this time
          it's correct.

          To get webalizer to group correctly you have to apply
          a more complicated rule (the RewriteRule lines are in
          one single line. I have cut it in half to fit the
          message width):

          RewriteEngine On
          RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^type=(.*)
          RewriteRule ^/viewactivity/(.+)\.jsp
          /%1/viewactivity.jsp?eid=$1 [L]

          This redirects transparently from ...

          www.domain.com/viewactivity/222.jsp?type=parents

          ... to ...

          www.domain.com/parents/viewactivity.jsp?eid=222

          (notice how "kids" and "parents" have become a data
          you send in the query string, instead of being inside
          the url. You have to update all links in your website
          acordingly)

          In webalizer all activities with the same "eid" will
          now appear together, with no extra configuration.

          If you do this outside a <Directory> container, then
          inside your <Directory> container you have to put:

          RewriteEngine On
          RewriteOptions inherit

          So that apache will allow that directory to use the
          rewrite engine.

          The "%1" is the first "(.+)" or "(.*)" from the
          RewriteCond, and the "$1" is the first "(.+)" or
          "(.*)" from the first part of the RewriteRule line.
          You can later add %2, %3, etc. The "^" means "start of
          line"

          Now, you will have people still going to the old
          adresses, so you want to redirect them to the "new"
          addresses. You would then add this:

          RewriteEngine On
          RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^type=(.*)
          RewriteRule ^/viewactivity/(.+)\.jsp
          /%1/viewactivity.jsp?eid=$1 [L]
          RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^eid=(.*)
          RewriteRule ^/(.+)/viewactivity.jsp
          /viewactivity/%1.jsp?type=$1 [R=301,L]

          In this case we want to let the visitors know that
          they are being redirected to the "new" place, so we
          send a 301 (permanent) redirection.

          This way, also, the search engines won't penalize you
          because of having duplicate content
          ("viewactivity/222.jsp" now has the same content as
          "viewactivity.jsp?eid=222", and you would receive a
          penalization because the engine thinks that you are
          trying to fill it with duplicate content)

          Please let me know if it works for you, or if you find
          some error in the code.

          If you need to add more items in the query string,
          then you'll need even more RewriteRule lines:

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 20 2:19 AM
            The last one, I promise.

            RewriteEngine On
            RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} type=([^&]+)&(.*)
            RewriteRule ^/viewactivity/(.+)\.jsp
            /%1/viewactivity.jsp?eid=$1%2 [L]
            RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} type=(.*)
            RewriteRule ^/viewactivity/(.+)\.jsp
            /%1/viewactivity.jsp?eid=$1 [L]
            RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} eid=([^&]+)&(.*)
            RewriteRule ^/(.+)/viewactivity.jsp
            /viewactivity/%1.jsp?type=$1&%2 [R=301,L]
            RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} eid=(.*)
            RewriteRule ^/(.+)/viewactivity.jsp
            /viewactivity/%1.jsp?type=$1 [R=301,L]

            It redirects from ...

            /kids/viewactivity.jsp?eid=222&other=world

            ... to ...

            /viewactivity/222.jsp?type=kids&other=world

            Now the looooong explanation: this does everything I
            said, and preserves the query string that goes after
            type=xxxx and eid=xxxxx. "([^&]+)" means to match
            anything until you hit a "&" character and group it
            inside "%1". There are two groups of RewriteCond, the
            only difference is the "([^&]+)&(.*)" at the end. The
            first tells apache to stop before the first "&" and
            then forcefully find a "&" character and group
            everything after the "&" in "%2". All matching visits
            matching the second line has no "&", so there is only
            one parameter in the query string, so you can dump
            everything inside "%1" using "(.*)".

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • neobot85
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 20 5:44 AM
              Thank you Enric! It worked exactly as I wanted. =)

              I appreciate your help.