I runned webzolver and this is the message I get

  • richmondsearain
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 14, 2005
      DNS Lookup (5): 21 addresses in 2.98 seconds, 7/sec

      DNS Lookup (5): 111 addresses in 35.64 seconds, 3/sec

      Is this normal performace?

      If I set up the child process number from 5 to 10 or to 20, it will
      make it faster, but will it affect my other web services too much?

      What is the best way to run the webzolver efficiently and not affecting
      my other web services?
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 15, 2005
        This depends on the speed of the DNS server your
        server is using. If you are using some public DNS
        server outside of your local network like, for
        example, your ISP's DNS server, this is normal
        performance.

        I don't think that increasing the child processes to
        20 causes any problem to you if you are using some
        linux, unix.

        However, if you are using a Windows Server/XP Pro, you
        may find that your computer can only make 20-30 new
        connections/second, and XP Home is capped to make only
        5 so your web server may find itself unable to make
        new connections for your visitors because the DNS
        client has already used all allowed connections in
        that particular second.

        The cheapest way to increase DNS performance is using
        a public DNS server (you can ask your ISP for some of
        them). Sometimes these DSN servers are very fast!

        To have to look at latency (the latency being the
        number of milliseconds it takes for your request to
        travel all the way from you to the DNS server throught
        the Internet, being dealt with, and its answer
        travelling back to you). You can "ping" various DNS
        servers, to see which one has lower latency, or make a
        "tracert" or a "traceroute" to see how many machines
        is the DNS server away from you.

        See the data below for my DNS server. The DNS pings
        back in 400 milliseconds (a bit less than half a
        second) and the traceroute command shows a single step
        from my machine to my DNS server (this means that they
        are directly connected, with no router between them).

        This is a local DNS server, so it should be
        faster.However, the Telefonica DSN servers ping back
        in only 50 milliseconds, in spite of traceroute
        telling me that they are at least more than a dozen
        machines away!

        You have to measure which is the DNS server with least
        latency. Compare several DNS servers to see how much
        time it takes them to "ping" back and use the fastest
        one.

        [root@griho root]# ping 10.69.1.1
        64 bytes from 10.69.1.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.412
        ms
        64 bytes from 10.69.1.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.399
        ms
        64 bytes from 10.69.1.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.407
        ms
        64 bytes from 10.69.1.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.403
        ms
        64 bytes from 10.69.1.1: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=0.408
        ms
        64 bytes from 10.69.1.1: icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=0.400
        ms
        64 bytes from 10.69.1.1: icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=0.432
        ms

        --- 10.69.1.1 ping statistics ---
        7 packets transmitted, 7 received, 0% packet loss,
        time 5999ms
        [root@griho root]# traceroute 10.69.1.1
        traceroute to 10.69.1.1 (10.69.1.1), 30 hops max, 38
        byte packets
        1 serveisatm.udl.net (10.69.1.1) 0.392 ms 0.346 ms
        0.340 ms

        In unix, you can also see how much time it takes to
        answer a DNS query:

        [root@griho root]# time nslookup -sil
        www.webalizer.org 10.69.1.1
        Server: 10.69.1.1
        Address: 10.69.1.1#53

        Non-authoritative answer:
        Name: www.webalizer.org
        Address: 209.114.200.25

        real 0m0.550s
        user 0m0.010s
        sys 0m0.000s

        This method is not very reliable. Notice that the
        first time you ask for a domain it may take 0.555s,
        but the second time it may only take 0.015s, because
        that domain is already in the local DNS cache and will
        surely remain there for at least 24 hours, skewing the
        result time.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 15, 2005
          Sorry, that was a very long and confusing message...

          Just get hold of the IPs of some public DNS servers,
          ping them, and configure your web server to use the
          ones that ping back faster. This should be enough to
          improve dramatically your DNS performance.

          Increasing DNSChildren will probably choke your web
          server, because of so many DNS simultaneous
          connections competing with the HTTP connections for
          the machine resources.

          __________________________________
          Yahoo! Mail Mobile
          http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
        • richmondsearain
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 15, 2005
            --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, Enric Naval <enventa2000@y...>
            wrote:
            > Sorry, that was a very long and confusing message...
            >
            > Just get hold of the IPs of some public DNS servers,
            > ping them, and configure your web server to use the
            > ones that ping back faster. This should be enough to
            > improve dramatically your DNS performance.
            >
            > Increasing DNSChildren will probably choke your web
            > server, because of so many DNS simultaneous
            > connections competing with the HTTP connections for
            > the machine resources.

            Thanks!

            But how to tell the webzolver to pick up the certain DNS server to
            run? I didn't find the option for webzolver command to specify which
            DNS server to use.
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 15, 2005
              > But how to tell the webzolver to pick up the certain DNS server to
              > run? I didn't find the option for webzolver command to specify which
              > DNS server to use.

              The webalizer just does standard gethostbyaddr() system calls, so it
              uses whatever DNS servers your system is setup to use. It's different
              for various systems, but on a typical linux system, this is via the
              /etc/hosts.conf and /etc/resolv.conf files.. on Solaris, it would be
              /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/resolv.conf, etc..

              From the 'gethostbyaddr' man page (linux system):

              "The domain name queries carried out by gethostbyname() and
              gethostbyaddr() use a combination of any or all of the
              name server named(8), a broken out line from /etc/hosts,
              and the Network Information Service (NIS or YP), depending
              upon the contents of the order line in /etc/host.conf.
              (See resolv+(8)). The default action is to query
              named(8), followed by /etc/hosts."