Reading Webalizer Reports

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 2 , May 27, 2005
      I am new to Webalizer reports and hope someone can help me better
      understand the information or direct me to information that would help
      accomplish that.

      Here is a sample . I assume that because the URL is blank it
      indicates that it is the main page of the website, is that a correct
      assumption? If not than what page would it be referring to and why
      would the main page not be listed in the top ten entry pages? How can
      the Top Entry page of 884 visits and the same Top Exit page have 1021
      visits.

      Top Entry Pages
      # Hits Visits URL
      1 3396 2.16% 884 42.89% /

      Top Exit Pages
      # Hits Visits URL
      1 3396 2.16% 1021 39.00% /

      Which stats would give me the best idea of unique visitors to our
      site.

      Thanks

      Mark Warner
      Message 2 of 2 , May 30, 2005
        --- Mark <markrw@...> wrote:

        > I am new to Webalizer reports and hope someone can
        > help me better
        > understand the information or direct me to
        > information that would help
        > accomplish that.
        >
        > Here is a sample . I assume that because the URL is
        > blank it
        > indicates that it is the main page of the website,
        > is that a correct
        > assumption? If not than what page would it be
        > referring to and why
        > would the main page not be listed in the top ten
        > entry pages? How can
        > the Top Entry page of 884 visits and the same Top
        > Exit page have 1021
        > visits.
        >
        > Top Entry Pages
        > # Hits Visits URL
        > 1 3396 2.16% 884 42.89% /
        >
        > Top Exit Pages
        > # Hits Visits URL
        > 1 3396 2.16% 1021 39.00% /
        >

        > Which stats would give me the best idea of unique
        > visitors to our
        > site.

        I thinks the best number is the visit number. I think
        this is because GET requests are counted as visits,
        while HEAD requests aren't. I warn you that I'm not
        sure of this!

        HEAD is used by search engines to see whether a page
        is still there. HEAD only a return code, when the page
        was last changed, the file size (if applies) and some
        other useful data. GET sends thesameinformation, but
        it also sends the whole page or file.

        By checking the date in the HEAD answer and the date
        they last visited the page, the search engine can see
        if they need to download the whole page (HEAD uses
        very little bandwith compared to GET, so using HEAD is
        "cheaper")

        This is an example of me sending a HEAD request to my
        server:

        [root@griho httpd]# telnet 127.0.0.1 80
        Trying 127.0.0.1...
        Connected to 127.0.0.1.