Re: [webalizer] webalizer Groups option

    Message 1 of 2 , May 18, 2005
      --- Attila Mezei-Horvati <attila_mh@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > I found a strange behaviour of webalizer and was
      > wondering if I am doing something wrong.
      >
      > I was trying to figure out how many times was yahoo
      > the referrer to my site so I tried the Groups
      > option.
      > I enabled it like this:
      >
      > GroupReferrer *.yahoo.* Yahoo!-Total
      >
      > I run webalizer and it displayed the Yahoo as 756
      > hits. All excited I enabled the same for msn. Now my
      > config section looked like:
      >
      > GroupReferrer *.msn.com* MSN-Total
      > GroupReferrer *.yahoo.* Yahoo!-Total
      >
      > To my big suprise now the results display MSN with
      > 756
      > hits and there is no mentioning for Yahoo with 756
      > hits. More then that. My total hits are now at 1911.
      > Out of this, webalizer tells me I have 868 direct
      > hits. Which leave me little doubt that both msn and
      > yahoo could have the same number of hits. Obviously,
      > something is wrong. Can anybody give me some idea?
      >
      > thanks,
      > Attila

      If you put two asteriks, webalizer gets confused and
      makes strange things. It seems that "*.whatever.*"
      matches everything that reaches it. As an alternative,
      you can use:

      "*.yahoo.com" domain names ending with .yahoo.com

      "www.yahoo.*". domain names starting with www.yahoo.

      ".yahoo." domain names containg .yahoo. anywhere
      inside the domain name

      "*yahoo.com" this will match things like
      www.yahoo.com, but it won't match things like
      "http://yahoo.com" because there is nothing in front
      of yahoo!

      http://mail.yahoo.com