webalizer Groups option

  • Attila Mezei-Horvati
    Message 1 of 2 , May 18, 2005
      Hello all,

      I found a strange behaviour of webalizer and was
      wondering if I am doing something wrong.

      I was trying to figure out how many times was yahoo
      the referrer to my site so I tried the Groups option.
      I enabled it like this:

      GroupReferrer *.yahoo.* Yahoo!-Total

      I run webalizer and it displayed the Yahoo as 756
      hits. All excited I enabled the same for msn. Now my
      config section looked like:

      GroupReferrer *.msn.com* MSN-Total
      GroupReferrer *.yahoo.* Yahoo!-Total

      To my big suprise now the results display MSN with 756
      hits and there is no mentioning for Yahoo with 756
      hits. More then that. My total hits are now at 1911.
      Out of this, webalizer tells me I have 868 direct
      hits. Which leave me little doubt that both msn and
      yahoo could have the same number of hits. Obviously,
      something is wrong. Can anybody give me some idea?

      thanks,
      Attila

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 18, 2005
        --- Attila Mezei-Horvati <attila_mh@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I found a strange behaviour of webalizer and was
        > wondering if I am doing something wrong.
        >
        > I was trying to figure out how many times was yahoo
        > the referrer to my site so I tried the Groups
        > option.
        > I enabled it like this:
        >
        > GroupReferrer *.yahoo.* Yahoo!-Total
        >
        > I run webalizer and it displayed the Yahoo as 756
        > hits. All excited I enabled the same for msn. Now my
        > config section looked like:
        >
        > GroupReferrer *.msn.com* MSN-Total
        > GroupReferrer *.yahoo.* Yahoo!-Total
        >
        > To my big suprise now the results display MSN with
        > 756
        > hits and there is no mentioning for Yahoo with 756
        > hits. More then that. My total hits are now at 1911.
        > Out of this, webalizer tells me I have 868 direct
        > hits. Which leave me little doubt that both msn and
        > yahoo could have the same number of hits. Obviously,
        > something is wrong. Can anybody give me some idea?
        >
        > thanks,
        > Attila

        If you put two asteriks, webalizer gets confused and
        makes strange things. It seems that "*.whatever.*"
        matches everything that reaches it. As an alternative,
        you can use:

        "*.yahoo.com" domain names ending with .yahoo.com

        "www.yahoo.*". domain names starting with www.yahoo.

        ".yahoo." domain names containg .yahoo. anywhere
        inside the domain name

        "*yahoo.com" this will match things like
        www.yahoo.com, but it won't match things like
        "http://yahoo.com" because there is nothing in front
        of yahoo!

        http://mail.yahoo.com