Adding Visits in Top 10 of Total URLs

  • Marius popa
    Message 1 of 6 , May 17, 2005
      One of my clients asked about adding visits column to the
      Total URLs table - Is it possible ?
      Message 2 of 6 , May 17, 2005
        --- Marius popa <jimi_compot@...> wrote:

        > One of my clients asked about adding visits column
        > to the
        > Total URLs table - Is it possible ?

        Possible but probably useless. Each hit represents
        probably a visit, unless one visitor is going back and
        forth all over your website trying to find something,
        or going in circles after getting lost. It would be
        more practical to list every path followed by every
        visit, or a compilation of the most frequent paths.

        I recommend you take a look at Webdruid, a clone of
        webalizer that generates a graph with the paths taken
        by visitors. This should be more useful than the
        number of visits per URL.

        http://www.webdruid.org

        You can see an example here:

        http://griho.udl.es/usatge/ipo/usage_200504.html#TOPPATH

        In the second graph you can see, for example, how 50
        visits have decided to go from /ipo/libroe.html to the
        root page /ipo/, which is something that shouldn't be
        happening, and which is probably caused by a bad
        decision taken when the site was first designed.

        You can also see how no one goes from
        /ipo/transpas.html to the root page, probably because
        they already find in transpas.html what they are
        looking for and don't need to go back and take a
        different path....

        Be aware that paths taken by robots also get taken
        into account into the graph, that's why all pdf files
        in the site get hit in sequential order.

        Make Yahoo! your home page
        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • Marius popa
        Message 3 of 6 , May 18, 2005
          --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, Enric Naval <enventa2000@y...> wrote:

          > --- Marius popa <jimi_compot@y...> wrote:
          >
          > > One of my clients asked about adding visits column
          > > to the
          > > Total URLs table - Is it possible ?
          > >

          > Possible but probably useless. Each hit represents
          > probably a visit, unless one visitor is going back and
          > forth all over your website trying to find something,
          > or going in circles after getting lost. It would be
          > more practical to list every path followed by every
          > visit, or a compilation of the most frequent paths.
          >

          > I recommend you take a look at Webdruid, a clone of
          > webalizer that generates a graph with the paths taken
          > by visitors. This should be more useful than the
          > number of visits per URL.
          >
          > http://www.webdruid.org

          Thank for the advice - i will install it
          Do you know if is still developed ?
          22 june 2004 is the last release
          Message 4 of 6 , May 18, 2005
            --- Marius popa <jimi_compot@...> wrote:

            > --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, Enric Naval
            > <enventa2000@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- Marius popa <jimi_compot@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > One of my clients asked about adding visits
            > column
            > > > to the
            > > > Total URLs table - Is it possible ?
            > > >

            > > Possible but probably useless. Each hit represents
            > > probably a visit, unless one visitor is going back
            > and
            > > forth all over your website trying to find
            > something,
            > > or going in circles after getting lost. It would
            > be
            > > more practical to list every path followed by
            > every
            > > visit, or a compilation of the most frequent
            > paths.
            > >

            > > I recommend you take a look at Webdruid, a clone
            > of
            > > webalizer that generates a graph with the paths
            > taken
            > > by visitors. This should be more useful than the
            > > number of visits per URL.
            > >
            > > http://www.webdruid.org
            >
            > Thank for the advice - i will install it
            > Do you know if is still developed ?
            > 22 june 2004 is the last release

            I don't know. I can't contact the original developer,
            so I have made my own version of it, because I had
            some problems with search strings, and I have patched
            the code a little bit.

            http://griho.udl.es/webdruid

            I copy & paste part of the CHANGELOG, so you can see
            the changes I made if you can to give it a go:

            0.5.4.2-eng summary from 0.5.4.1-eng 17/May/2005
            (enric@...)

            Fixes :
            o "q=&q=" querytag gets corrected to "q=" before
            finding the search string
            (this was giving problems in msn search and
            google search)

            Changes / Additions :
            o Added more examples in engines.list of search
            strings not parsed by webdruid.

            o Added Unique and Total search phrase count for
            each search engine in output.

            0.5.4.1-eng summary from 0.5.4 16/May/2005
            (enric@...)

            Fixes :
            o Added error case for iconv_t in sengine.c.

            o Transform additional ? characters into &, so they
            are parsed more correctly
            "images.google.*" needs this to be done

            Changes / Additions :
            o Added more search engines in engines.list

            o Added the rel="nofollow" tag in links in the Total
            Referrers list to
            annoy referral spammers

            o Increased SE_MAXQTAG to 7

            o Increased MAXSRCH from 256 to 388
            Increased MAXSRCH from 128 to 388
            This prevents some strings from being cut or lost
            due to being
            near the end of very long request.
            Searches from "google.*/custom" always have this
            problem

            o Unencode important characters like ?,=,+,& that
            are sent encoded
            "images.google.*" has this problem, because when
            users click in the thumbnail
            image, the referrer with the search string is
            encoded inside the "prev" querytag.

            Discover Yahoo!
            http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html
          • waldo kitty
            Message 5 of 6 , May 19, 2005
              Enric Naval wrote:

              > I recommend you take a look at Webdruid, a clone of
              > webalizer that generates a graph with the paths taken
              > by visitors. This should be more useful than the
              > number of visits per URL.
              >
              > http://www.webdruid.org

              is webdruid available for other platforms other than windows or *nix? i don't run webalizer on either of those and would
              like to look at webdruid on that platform...

              --
              _\/
              (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
              Message 6 of 6 , May 19, 2005
                --- waldo kitty <wkitty42@...> wrote:

                > Enric Naval wrote:
                > >
                > > I recommend you take a look at Webdruid, a clone
                > of
                > > webalizer that generates a graph with the paths
                > taken
                > > by visitors. This should be more useful than the
                > > number of visits per URL.
                > >
                > > http://www.webdruid.org
                >
                > is webdruid available for other platforms other than
                > windows or *nix? i don't run webalizer on either of
                > those and would
                > like to look at webdruid on that platform...

                I'm afraid there are only *nix and windows versions...

                http://mail.yahoo.com