Re: [webalizer] How does Weblizer organise database before generating report ?

    Message 1 of 2 , May 11 2:10 PM
      --- kientin7 <kientin7@...> wrote:

      > Does Weblizer use a database ?
      > If that is true I don't know How does Weblizer
      > organise database
      > before generating report ?
      > thanks for reading,

      Webalizer does not use a database. When you run
      webalizer, it uses hash tables and lists to store in
      RAM the data it reads from the logfiles.

      Then it generates the stats HTML files and graphics,
      and a history file detailing how many entries were
      processed so in the next run it can continue from the
      same spot.

      When it is finished running, it drops the hash tables
      and lists, so there is only the stats and the history
      file.

      This was the answer to you question, I'm adding this:

      Webalizer does no organizing. I could describe its
      process as "munching data as the program reads it from
      the logfiles, then excreting a series of stats whose
      correcteness relies on the data having been feed into
      the program in the correct order".

      In other words, if you feed the logfiles in the wrong
      order, the stats will be totally screwed, because
      webalizer processes the data in a sequential manner
      (serial manner?) and makes no checks because every
      time you run the program it holds no memory of past
      data except for a crude counting of
      where-was-I-finished-last-time so there is no data to
      check against.

      Also, a database would be VERY slow to do all
      operations performed by webalizer.

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail