How does Weblizer organise database before generating report ?

  • kientin7
    Message 1 of 2 , May 11, 2005
      Does Weblizer use a database ?
      If that is true I don't know How does Weblizer organise database
      before generating report ?
      thanks for reading,
      Message 2 of 2 , May 11, 2005
        --- kientin7 <kientin7@...> wrote:

        > Does Weblizer use a database ?
        > If that is true I don't know How does Weblizer
        > organise database
        > before generating report ?
        > thanks for reading,

        Webalizer does not use a database. When you run
        webalizer, it uses hash tables and lists to store in
        RAM the data it reads from the logfiles.

        Then it generates the stats HTML files and graphics,
        and a history file detailing how many entries were
        processed so in the next run it can continue from the
        same spot.

        When it is finished running, it drops the hash tables
        and lists, so there is only the stats and the history
        file.

        This was the answer to you question, I'm adding this:

        Webalizer does no organizing. I could describe its
        process as "munching data as the program reads it from
        the logfiles, then excreting a series of stats whose
        correcteness relies on the data having been feed into
        the program in the correct order".

        In other words, if you feed the logfiles in the wrong
        order, the stats will be totally screwed, because
        webalizer processes the data in a sequential manner
        (serial manner?) and makes no checks because every
        time you run the program it holds no memory of past
        data except for a crude counting of
        where-was-I-finished-last-time so there is no data to
        check against.

        Also, a database would be VERY slow to do all
        operations performed by webalizer.

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail