Re: [webalizer] Multiple site/stats

  • sam harris
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 7 9:09 PM

      myself, as soon as I process the all the log files at 11:59PM, I ship them to a remote server then create new ones.

      for the cron, I use red hat, I use "crontab -e" which edits  the cron, try "man crontab" first.

      From: "Greene, Jason A [ITS]"
      To: webalizer@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [webalizer] Multiple site/stats
      Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 09:06:35 -0500

      Hi,

      We are running several sites on the same server
      (Slackware/Apache/PHP)
      using
      virtual hosts in Apache's httpd.conf.

      I've read the howtos and I can't seem to figure it
      out...

      How can I get webalizer to separate the states of each
      site and display
      each
      site independent of the others.

      Jason Greene
      Sprint
      913-794-7105

      Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
      http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

      Terms of Service.

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

      Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
      http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

    • Maurice Volaski
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 12 5:53 PM
        I am trying webalizer on a new set of log files and it fails...

        DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
        Creating output in /home/bigdisk1/kennedylab/_web/html/kennedy/usage
        Hostname for reports is 'kennedy.aecom.yu.edu'
        History file not found...
        Previous run data not found...
        Error: Unable to save current run data
        Generating report for April 2005
        Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
        Generating summary report
        Error: Unable to open file index.html!
        Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist
        674 records in 0.02 seconds
        --

        Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@...
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 12 7:21 PM
          > DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
          [...]
          > Error: Unable to save current run data
          [...]
          > Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
          [...]
          > Error: Unable to open file index.html!
          > Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist

          You obviously don't have permissions to write files in the directory.

          (or you have NO disk space left on the device).

        • Maurice Volaski
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 12 11:07 PM
            > > DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
            >[...]
            >> Error: Unable to save current run data
            >[...]
            >> Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
            >[...]
            >> Error: Unable to open file index.html!
            >> Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist

            Thanks for your reply.

            >You obviously don't have permissions to write files in the directory.

            I am running as root.

            >(or you have NO disk space left on the device).

            About 58 GB free on that volume.
            --

            Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@...
          • Maurice Volaski
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 12 11:25 PM
              > > DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
              >[...]
              >> Error: Unable to save current run data
              >[...]
              >> Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
              >[...]
              >> Error: Unable to open file index.html!
              >> Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist
              >
              >You obviously don't have permissions to write files in the directory.

              I figured it out. I actually set it up this way and didn't realize
              it. The output directory is in the location where the user can FTP
              into to upload the web files and could inadvertently erase/alter this
              directory and the webalizer output files. So I set the immutable flag
              on the directory. That even blocks root. Seems that I just need to
              change the owner of this directory and its contents to root to
              prevent the user from altering it.
              --

              Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@...
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 13 1:40 AM
                If you have used the RPM install, you'd better use the
                webalizer.root user, and run webalizer as that user.

                To run a program as user webalizer use, for example:

                sudo -u webalizer /opt/webalizer-2.01-10/webalizer -c
                /tmp/webalizer/webalizer_griho.conf

                (In this case, I use the executable I compiled in the
                /opt directory, and a generated conf file in a
                temporal directory) I've never used this command
                myself, so I don't know what problems you may
                encounter using it.

                As always, use the man command for further input, "man
                sudo" :)