RE: [webalizer] Multiple site/stats

  • Greene, Jason A [ITS]
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 7 6:41 AM
      Thanks.
      I used Enric's email and noticed I had the Output line and the DNScache line
      REMed out... Once I change that it started working.

      I put all the conf files in /etc/webalizer and run this

      for i in /etc/webalizer/*.conf; do /home/htdocs/webalizer/webalizer -c $i;
      done

      It seemed to work.

      Jason Greene
      Sprint
      913-794-7105

    • sam harris
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 7 9:09 PM

        myself, as soon as I process the all the log files at 11:59PM, I ship them to a remote server then create new ones.

        for the cron, I use red hat, I use "crontab -e" which edits  the cron, try "man crontab" first.

        From: "Greene, Jason A [ITS]"
        To: webalizer@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [webalizer] Multiple site/stats
        Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 09:06:35 -0500

        Hi,

        We are running several sites on the same server
        (Slackware/Apache/PHP)
        using
        virtual hosts in Apache's httpd.conf.

        I've read the howtos and I can't seem to figure it
        out...

        How can I get webalizer to separate the states of each
        site and display
        each
        site independent of the others.

        Jason Greene
        Sprint
        913-794-7105

        Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
        http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

        Terms of Service.

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

        Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
        http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

      • Maurice Volaski
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 12 5:53 PM
          I am trying webalizer on a new set of log files and it fails...

          DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
          Creating output in /home/bigdisk1/kennedylab/_web/html/kennedy/usage
          Hostname for reports is 'kennedy.aecom.yu.edu'
          History file not found...
          Previous run data not found...
          Error: Unable to save current run data
          Generating report for April 2005
          Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
          Generating summary report
          Error: Unable to open file index.html!
          Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist
          674 records in 0.02 seconds
          --

          Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@...
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 12 7:21 PM
            > DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
            [...]
            > Error: Unable to save current run data
            [...]
            > Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
            [...]
            > Error: Unable to open file index.html!
            > Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist

            You obviously don't have permissions to write files in the directory.

            (or you have NO disk space left on the device).

          • Maurice Volaski
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 12 11:07 PM
              > > DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
              >[...]
              >> Error: Unable to save current run data
              >[...]
              >> Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
              >[...]
              >> Error: Unable to open file index.html!
              >> Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist

              Thanks for your reply.

              >You obviously don't have permissions to write files in the directory.

              I am running as root.

              >(or you have NO disk space left on the device).

              About 58 GB free on that volume.
              --

              Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@...
            • Maurice Volaski
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 12 11:25 PM
                > > DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
                >[...]
                >> Error: Unable to save current run data
                >[...]
                >> Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
                >[...]
                >> Error: Unable to open file index.html!
                >> Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist
                >
                >You obviously don't have permissions to write files in the directory.

                I figured it out. I actually set it up this way and didn't realize
                it. The output directory is in the location where the user can FTP
                into to upload the web files and could inadvertently erase/alter this
                directory and the webalizer output files. So I set the immutable flag
                on the directory. That even blocks root. Seems that I just need to
                change the owner of this directory and its contents to root to
                prevent the user from altering it.
                --

                Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@...
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 13 1:40 AM
                  If you have used the RPM install, you'd better use the
                  webalizer.root user, and run webalizer as that user.

                  To run a program as user webalizer use, for example:

                  sudo -u webalizer /opt/webalizer-2.01-10/webalizer -c
                  /tmp/webalizer/webalizer_griho.conf

                  (In this case, I use the executable I compiled in the
                  /opt directory, and a generated conf file in a
                  temporal directory) I've never used this command
                  myself, so I don't know what problems you may
                  encounter using it.

                  As always, use the man command for further input, "man
                  sudo" :)