Re: [webalizer] Multiple site/stats

  • Amir Jamak
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 7, 2005
      Hello everyone,

      I am writting to the group for the first time. Thank
      you for your answer Sam. Actually I am having the
      similar problem. Is there any way to put this script
      in cron deamon daily folder? (I am running SuSE 9.x on
      my servers). So the process becomes automatically
      refreshed on the daily basis...

      Another question: Is there any way to tell webalizer
      to not look the log files from the beginneing each
      time it's being execited? It should be usefull if you
      have large log files. Imagine analyzing large log file
      daily...

      Thanks in advance

      Amir

      --- sam harris <samharris@...> wrote:
      ---------------------------------

      you need to develop a shell script that will run
      though the sites' log files then dump the output in
      different folders. with no conf file unless your conf
      file will carry common elements like displays and such

      then place a front page linking to those reports

      the script will

      set your log variables:

      log1 = /path/path/path/file1

      log2=/path/path/path/file2

      set your output file path vars:

      output1.....

      output2....

      then run webalizer:

      For i in log1 log2

      do

      if log1 = "/...//.///."

      do this webalizer...

      else

      do this webalizer...

      fi

      end

      hope this helps

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 7, 2005
        Thanks.
        I used Enric's email and noticed I had the Output line and the DNScache line
        REMed out... Once I change that it started working.

        I put all the conf files in /etc/webalizer and run this

        for i in /etc/webalizer/*.conf; do /home/htdocs/webalizer/webalizer -c $i;
        done

        It seemed to work.

        Jason Greene
        Sprint
        913-794-7105

      • sam harris
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 7, 2005

          myself, as soon as I process the all the log files at 11:59PM, I ship them to a remote server then create new ones.

          for the cron, I use red hat, I use "crontab -e" which edits  the cron, try "man crontab" first.

          ---------------------------------

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 12, 2005
            I am trying webalizer on a new set of log files and it fails...

            DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
            Creating output in /home/bigdisk1/kennedylab/_web/html/kennedy/usage
            Hostname for reports is 'kennedy.aecom.yu.edu'
            History file not found...
            Previous run data not found...
            Error: Unable to save current run data
            Generating report for April 2005
            Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
            Generating summary report
            Error: Unable to open file index.html!
            Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist
            674 records in 0.02 seconds
            --

            Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@...
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 12, 2005
              > DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
              [...]
              > Error: Unable to save current run data
              [...]
              > Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
              [...]
              > Error: Unable to open file index.html!
              > Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist

              You obviously don't have permissions to write files in the directory.

              (or you have NO disk space left on the device).

            • Maurice Volaski
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 12, 2005
                > > DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
                >[...]
                >> Error: Unable to save current run data
                >[...]
                >> Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
                >[...]
                >> Error: Unable to open file index.html!
                >> Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist

                Thanks for your reply.

                >You obviously don't have permissions to write files in the directory.

                I am running as root.

                >(or you have NO disk space left on the device).

                About 58 GB free on that volume.
                --

                Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@...
              • Maurice Volaski
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 12, 2005
                  > > DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
                  >[...]
                  >> Error: Unable to save current run data
                  >[...]
                  >> Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
                  >[...]
                  >> Error: Unable to open file index.html!
                  >> Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist
                  >
                  >You obviously don't have permissions to write files in the directory.

                  I figured it out. I actually set it up this way and didn't realize
                  it. The output directory is in the location where the user can FTP
                  into to upload the web files and could inadvertently erase/alter this
                  directory and the webalizer output files. So I set the immutable flag
                  on the directory. That even blocks root. Seems that I just need to
                  change the owner of this directory and its contents to root to
                  prevent the user from altering it.
                  --

                  Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@...
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 13, 2005
                    If you have used the RPM install, you'd better use the
                    webalizer.root user, and run webalizer as that user.

                    To run a program as user webalizer use, for example:

                    sudo -u webalizer /opt/webalizer-2.01-10/webalizer -c
                    /tmp/webalizer/webalizer_griho.conf

                    (In this case, I use the executable I compiled in the
                    /opt directory, and a generated conf file in a
                    temporal directory) I've never used this command
                    myself, so I don't know what problems you may
                    encounter using it.

                    As always, use the man command for further input, "man
                    sudo" :)