RE: [webalizer] Multiple site/stats

    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 6 12:32 PM
      Hum, so, I assume you already have a CustomLog line in
      each VirtualHost directory, and each CustomLog line
      points to a different logfile. This means that you
      have n different logfile, where n is the number of
      virtualhosts.

      This means you have n different webalizer.conf files.

      Probably all files have the same OutputDir line, and
      they overwrite silently each other as you execute
      them. When you go the output dir, you'll only find the
      stats for the last execucion of webalizer.

      OK, now you have to modify your webalizer.conf files,
      one by one. For your first site, called for example
      "seminars", you would edit the webalizer.conf for that
      site, which you could call "webalizer_seminars.conf"
      and change:

      - the LogFile line so it points to the log defined by
      CustomLog inside the VirtualHost defining site
      "seminars".
      LogFile /var/log/httpd/access_log_seminars

      - the OutputDir line, so it points to, for example,
      "/var/www/html/usage/seminars"
      OutputDir /var/www/html/usage/seminars

      - the HistoryName line, to point to "webalizer.hist",
      so it uses a file relative to the output directory
      HistoryName webalizer.hist

      - the DNSCache line, to point to "dns_cache.db", so it
      uses a file relative to the output directory
      DNSCache dns_cache.db

      For your second site, which we will call, for example,
      "cars", we'll edit "webalizer_cars.conf" and:

      - point LogFile to the the CustomLog for VirtualHost
      "cars"

      - change OutputDir to "/var/www/html/usage/cars"

      - change HistoryFile to "webalizer.hist"

      - the DNSCache line, to point to "dns_cache.db"

      The you repeat the same with all your other sites.
      Notice that the names and directories are all made up.
      Fill LogFile and OutputDir with your own names and
      directories.

      --- "Greene, Jason A [ITS]"

      http://personals.yahoo.com
    • sam harris
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 7 6:27 AM

        you need to develop a shell script that will run though the sites' log files then dump the output in  different folders. with no conf file unless your conf file will carry common elements like displays and such

        then place a front page linking to those reports

        the script will

        set your log variables:

        log1 = /path/path/path/file1

        log2=/path/path/path/file2

        set your output file path vars:

        output1.....

        output2....

        then run webalizer:

        For i in log1 log2

        do

        if log1 = "/...//.///."

        do this webalizer...

        else

        do this webalizer...

        fi

        end

        hope this helps

        We are running several sites on the same server (Slackware/Apache/PHP)
        using
        virtual hosts in Apache's httpd.conf.

        I've read the howtos and I can't seem to figure it out...

        How can I get webalizer to separate the states of each site and display
        each
        site independent of the others.

        Jason Greene
        Sprint
        913-794-7105

        Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
        http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

      • Amir Jamak
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 7 6:40 AM
          Hello everyone,

          I am writting to the group for the first time. Thank
          you for your answer Sam. Actually I am having the
          similar problem. Is there any way to put this script
          in cron deamon daily folder? (I am running SuSE 9.x on
          my servers). So the process becomes automatically
          refreshed on the daily basis...

          Another question: Is there any way to tell webalizer
          to not look the log files from the beginneing each
          time it's being execited? It should be usefull if you
          have large log files. Imagine analyzing large log file
          daily...

          Thanks in advance

          Amir

          --- sam harris <samharris@...> wrote:
          ---------------------------------

[...]

          Terms of Service.

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Greene, Jason A [ITS]
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 7 6:41 AM
            Thanks.
            I used Enric's email and noticed I had the Output line and the DNScache line
            REMed out... Once I change that it started working.

            I put all the conf files in /etc/webalizer and run this

            for i in /etc/webalizer/*.conf; do /home/htdocs/webalizer/webalizer -c $i;
            done

            It seemed to work.

            Jason Greene
            Sprint
            913-794-7105

          • sam harris
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 7 9:09 PM

              myself, as soon as I process the all the log files at 11:59PM, I ship them to a remote server then create new ones.

              for the cron, I use red hat, I use "crontab -e" which edits  the cron, try "man crontab" first.

              ---------------------------------

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 12 5:53 PM
                I am trying webalizer on a new set of log files and it fails...

                DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
                Creating output in /home/bigdisk1/kennedylab/_web/html/kennedy/usage
                Hostname for reports is 'kennedy.aecom.yu.edu'
                History file not found...
                Previous run data not found...
                Error: Unable to save current run data
                Generating report for April 2005
                Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
                Generating summary report
                Error: Unable to open file index.html!
                Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist
                674 records in 0.02 seconds
                --

                Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@...
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 12 7:21 PM
                  > DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
                  [...]
                  > Error: Unable to save current run data
                  [...]
                  > Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
                  [...]
                  > Error: Unable to open file index.html!
                  > Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist

                  You obviously don't have permissions to write files in the directory.

                  (or you have NO disk space left on the device).

                • Maurice Volaski
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 12 11:07 PM
                    > > DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
                    >[...]
                    >> Error: Unable to save current run data
                    >[...]
                    >> Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
                    >[...]
                    >> Error: Unable to open file index.html!
                    >> Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist

                    Thanks for your reply.

                    >You obviously don't have permissions to write files in the directory.

                    I am running as root.

                    >(or you have NO disk space left on the device).

                    About 58 GB free on that volume.
                    --

                    Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@...
                  • Maurice Volaski
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 12 11:25 PM
                      > > DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
                      >[...]
                      >> Error: Unable to save current run data
                      >[...]
                      >> Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
                      >[...]
                      >> Error: Unable to open file index.html!
                      >> Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist
                      >
                      >You obviously don't have permissions to write files in the directory.

                      I figured it out. I actually set it up this way and didn't realize
                      it. The output directory is in the location where the user can FTP
                      into to upload the web files and could inadvertently erase/alter this
                      directory and the webalizer output files. So I set the immutable flag
                      on the directory. That even blocks root. Seems that I just need to
                      change the owner of this directory and its contents to root to
                      prevent the user from altering it.
                      --

                      Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@...
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 13 1:40 AM
                        If you have used the RPM install, you'd better use the
                        webalizer.root user, and run webalizer as that user.

                        To run a program as user webalizer use, for example:

                        sudo -u webalizer /opt/webalizer-2.01-10/webalizer -c
                        /tmp/webalizer/webalizer_griho.conf

                        (In this case, I use the executable I compiled in the
                        /opt directory, and a generated conf file in a
                        temporal directory) I've never used this command
                        myself, so I don't know what problems you may
                        encounter using it.

                        As always, use the man command for further input, "man
                        sudo" :)