RE: [webalizer] Multiple site/stats

  • Greene, Jason A [ITS]
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 6, 2005
      I had most of this... I changed the log type from common to combind and I
      get the same thing... One stat page

      Do I need to do anything to the webalizer conf files... I have one for each
      site in /etc/webalizer/

      Jason Greene
      Sprint
      913-794-7105

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 6, 2005
        Hum, so, I assume you already have a CustomLog line in
        each VirtualHost directory, and each CustomLog line
        points to a different logfile. This means that you
        have n different logfile, where n is the number of
        virtualhosts.

        This means you have n different webalizer.conf files.

        Probably all files have the same OutputDir line, and
        they overwrite silently each other as you execute
        them. When you go the output dir, you'll only find the
        stats for the last execucion of webalizer.

        OK, now you have to modify your webalizer.conf files,
        one by one. For your first site, called for example
        "seminars", you would edit the webalizer.conf for that
        site, which you could call "webalizer_seminars.conf"
        and change:

        - the LogFile line so it points to the log defined by
        CustomLog inside the VirtualHost defining site
        "seminars".
        LogFile /var/log/httpd/access_log_seminars

        - the OutputDir line, so it points to, for example,
        "/var/www/html/usage/seminars"
        OutputDir /var/www/html/usage/seminars

        - the HistoryName line, to point to "webalizer.hist",
        so it uses a file relative to the output directory
        HistoryName webalizer.hist

        - the DNSCache line, to point to "dns_cache.db", so it
        uses a file relative to the output directory
        DNSCache dns_cache.db

        For your second site, which we will call, for example,
        "cars", we'll edit "webalizer_cars.conf" and:

        - point LogFile to the the CustomLog for VirtualHost
        "cars"

        - change OutputDir to "/var/www/html/usage/cars"

        - change HistoryFile to "webalizer.hist"

        - the DNSCache line, to point to "dns_cache.db"

        The you repeat the same with all your other sites.
        Notice that the names and directories are all made up.
        Fill LogFile and OutputDir with your own names and
        directories.

        --- "Greene, Jason A [ITS]"

        http://personals.yahoo.com
      • sam harris
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 7, 2005

          you need to develop a shell script that will run though the sites' log files then dump the output in  different folders. with no conf file unless your conf file will carry common elements like displays and such

          then place a front page linking to those reports

          the script will

          set your log variables:

          log1 = /path/path/path/file1

          log2=/path/path/path/file2

          set your output file path vars:

          output1.....

          output2....

          then run webalizer:

          For i in log1 log2

          do

          if log1 = "/...//.///."

          do this webalizer...

          else

          do this webalizer...

          fi

          end

          hope this helps

          We are running several sites on the same server (Slackware/Apache/PHP)
          using
          virtual hosts in Apache's httpd.conf.

          I've read the howtos and I can't seem to figure it out...

          How can I get webalizer to separate the states of each site and display
          each
          site independent of the others.

          Jason Greene
          Sprint
          913-794-7105

          Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
          http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

        • Amir Jamak
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 7, 2005
            Hello everyone,

            I am writting to the group for the first time. Thank
            you for your answer Sam. Actually I am having the
            similar problem. Is there any way to put this script
            in cron deamon daily folder? (I am running SuSE 9.x on
            my servers). So the process becomes automatically
            refreshed on the daily basis...

            Another question: Is there any way to tell webalizer
            to not look the log files from the beginneing each
            time it's being execited? It should be usefull if you
            have large log files. Imagine analyzing large log file
            daily...

            Thanks in advance

            Amir

            --- sam harris <samharris@...> wrote:
            ---------------------------------

[...]

            Terms of Service.

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Greene, Jason A [ITS]
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 7, 2005
              Thanks.
              I used Enric's email and noticed I had the Output line and the DNScache line
              REMed out... Once I change that it started working.

              I put all the conf files in /etc/webalizer and run this

              for i in /etc/webalizer/*.conf; do /home/htdocs/webalizer/webalizer -c $i;
              done

              It seemed to work.

              Jason Greene
              Sprint
              913-794-7105

            • sam harris
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 7, 2005

                myself, as soon as I process the all the log files at 11:59PM, I ship them to a remote server then create new ones.

                for the cron, I use red hat, I use "crontab -e" which edits  the cron, try "man crontab" first.

                ---------------------------------

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 12, 2005
                  I am trying webalizer on a new set of log files and it fails...

                  DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
                  Creating output in /home/bigdisk1/kennedylab/_web/html/kennedy/usage
                  Hostname for reports is 'kennedy.aecom.yu.edu'
                  History file not found...
                  Previous run data not found...
                  Error: Unable to save current run data
                  Generating report for April 2005
                  Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
                  Generating summary report
                  Error: Unable to open file index.html!
                  Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist
                  674 records in 0.02 seconds
                  --

                  Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@...
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 12, 2005
                    > DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
                    [...]
                    > Error: Unable to save current run data
                    [...]
                    > Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
                    [...]
                    > Error: Unable to open file index.html!
                    > Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist

                    You obviously don't have permissions to write files in the directory.

                    (or you have NO disk space left on the device).

                  • Maurice Volaski
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 12, 2005
                      > > DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
                      >[...]
                      >> Error: Unable to save current run data
                      >[...]
                      >> Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
                      >[...]
                      >> Error: Unable to open file index.html!
                      >> Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist

                      Thanks for your reply.

                      >You obviously don't have permissions to write files in the directory.

                      I am running as root.

                      >(or you have NO disk space left on the device).

                      About 58 GB free on that volume.
                      --

                      Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@...
                    • Maurice Volaski
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 12, 2005
                        > > DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
                        >[...]
                        >> Error: Unable to save current run data
                        >[...]
                        >> Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
                        >[...]
                        >> Error: Unable to open file index.html!
                        >> Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist
                        >
                        >You obviously don't have permissions to write files in the directory.

                        I figured it out. I actually set it up this way and didn't realize
                        it. The output directory is in the location where the user can FTP
                        into to upload the web files and could inadvertently erase/alter this
                        directory and the webalizer output files. So I set the immutable flag
                        on the directory. That even blocks root. Seems that I just need to
                        change the owner of this directory and its contents to root to
                        prevent the user from altering it.
                        --

                        Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@...
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 13, 2005
                          If you have used the RPM install, you'd better use the
                          webalizer.root user, and run webalizer as that user.

                          To run a program as user webalizer use, for example:

                          sudo -u webalizer /opt/webalizer-2.01-10/webalizer -c
                          /tmp/webalizer/webalizer_griho.conf

                          (In this case, I use the executable I compiled in the
                          /opt directory, and a generated conf file in a
                          temporal directory) I've never used this command
                          myself, so I don't know what problems you may
                          encounter using it.

                          As always, use the man command for further input, "man
                          sudo" :)