RE: [webalizer] Multiple site/stats

  • Greene, Jason A [ITS]
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 5, 2005
      I had most of this... I changed the log type from common to combind and I
      get the same thing... One stat page

      Do I need to do anything to the webalizer conf files... I have one for each
      site in /etc/webalizer/

      Jason Greene
      Sprint
      913-794-7105

    • Greene, Jason A [ITS]
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 6, 2005

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 6, 2005
          Hum, so, I assume you already have a CustomLog line in
          each VirtualHost directory, and each CustomLog line
          points to a different logfile. This means that you
          have n different logfile, where n is the number of
          virtualhosts.

          This means you have n different webalizer.conf files.

          Probably all files have the same OutputDir line, and
          they overwrite silently each other as you execute
          them. When you go the output dir, you'll only find the
          stats for the last execucion of webalizer.

          OK, now you have to modify your webalizer.conf files,
          one by one. For your first site, called for example
          "seminars", you would edit the webalizer.conf for that
          site, which you could call "webalizer_seminars.conf"
          and change:

          - the LogFile line so it points to the log defined by
          CustomLog inside the VirtualHost defining site
          "seminars".
          LogFile /var/log/httpd/access_log_seminars

          - the OutputDir line, so it points to, for example,
          "/var/www/html/usage/seminars"
          OutputDir /var/www/html/usage/seminars

          - the HistoryName line, to point to "webalizer.hist",
          so it uses a file relative to the output directory
          HistoryName webalizer.hist

          - the DNSCache line, to point to "dns_cache.db", so it
          uses a file relative to the output directory
          DNSCache dns_cache.db

          For your second site, which we will call, for example,
          "cars", we'll edit "webalizer_cars.conf" and:

          - point LogFile to the the CustomLog for VirtualHost
          "cars"

          - change OutputDir to "/var/www/html/usage/cars"

          - change HistoryFile to "webalizer.hist"

          - the DNSCache line, to point to "dns_cache.db"

          The you repeat the same with all your other sites.
          Notice that the names and directories are all made up.
          Fill LogFile and OutputDir with your own names and
          directories.

          --- "Greene, Jason A [ITS]"

          http://personals.yahoo.com
        • sam harris
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 7, 2005

            you need to develop a shell script that will run though the sites' log files then dump the output in  different folders. with no conf file unless your conf file will carry common elements like displays and such

            then place a front page linking to those reports

            the script will

            set your log variables:

            log1 = /path/path/path/file1

            log2=/path/path/path/file2

            set your output file path vars:

            output1.....

            output2....

            then run webalizer:

            For i in log1 log2

            do

            if log1 = "/...//.///."

            do this webalizer...

            else

            do this webalizer...

            fi

            end

            hope this helps

            We are running several sites on the same server (Slackware/Apache/PHP)
            using
            virtual hosts in Apache's httpd.conf.

            I've read the howtos and I can't seem to figure it out...

            How can I get webalizer to separate the states of each site and display
            each
            site independent of the others.

            Jason Greene
            Sprint
            913-794-7105

            Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
            http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

          • Amir Jamak
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 7, 2005
              Hello everyone,

              I am writting to the group for the first time. Thank
              you for your answer Sam. Actually I am having the
              similar problem. Is there any way to put this script
              in cron deamon daily folder? (I am running SuSE 9.x on
              my servers). So the process becomes automatically
              refreshed on the daily basis...

              Another question: Is there any way to tell webalizer
              to not look the log files from the beginneing each
              time it's being execited? It should be usefull if you
              have large log files. Imagine analyzing large log file
              daily...

              Thanks in advance

              Amir

              --- sam harris <samharris@...> wrote:
              ---------------------------------

[...]

              Terms of Service.

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            • Greene, Jason A [ITS]
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 7, 2005
                Thanks.
                I used Enric's email and noticed I had the Output line and the DNScache line
                REMed out... Once I change that it started working.

                I put all the conf files in /etc/webalizer and run this

                for i in /etc/webalizer/*.conf; do /home/htdocs/webalizer/webalizer -c $i;
                done

                It seemed to work.

                Jason Greene
                Sprint
                913-794-7105

              • sam harris
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 7, 2005

                  myself, as soon as I process the all the log files at 11:59PM, I ship them to a remote server then create new ones.

                  for the cron, I use red hat, I use "crontab -e" which edits  the cron, try "man crontab" first.

                  ---------------------------------

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 12, 2005
                    I am trying webalizer on a new set of log files and it fails...

                    DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
                    Creating output in /home/bigdisk1/kennedylab/_web/html/kennedy/usage
                    Hostname for reports is 'kennedy.aecom.yu.edu'
                    History file not found...
                    Previous run data not found...
                    Error: Unable to save current run data
                    Generating report for April 2005
                    Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
                    Generating summary report
                    Error: Unable to open file index.html!
                    Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist
                    674 records in 0.02 seconds
                    --

                    Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@...
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 12, 2005
                      > DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
                      [...]
                      > Error: Unable to save current run data
                      [...]
                      > Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
                      [...]
                      > Error: Unable to open file index.html!
                      > Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist

                      You obviously don't have permissions to write files in the directory.

                      (or you have NO disk space left on the device).

                    • Maurice Volaski
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 12, 2005
                        > > DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
                        >[...]
                        >> Error: Unable to save current run data
                        >[...]
                        >> Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
                        >[...]
                        >> Error: Unable to open file index.html!
                        >> Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist

                        Thanks for your reply.

                        >You obviously don't have permissions to write files in the directory.

                        I am running as root.

                        >(or you have NO disk space left on the device).

                        About 58 GB free on that volume.
                        --

                        Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@...
                      • Maurice Volaski
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 12, 2005
                          > > DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
                          >[...]
                          >> Error: Unable to save current run data
                          >[...]
                          >> Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
                          >[...]
                          >> Error: Unable to open file index.html!
                          >> Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist
                          >
                          >You obviously don't have permissions to write files in the directory.

                          I figured it out. I actually set it up this way and didn't realize
                          it. The output directory is in the location where the user can FTP
                          into to upload the web files and could inadvertently erase/alter this
                          directory and the webalizer output files. So I set the immutable flag
                          on the directory. That even blocks root. Seems that I just need to
                          change the owner of this directory and its contents to root to
                          prevent the user from altering it.
                          --

                          Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@...
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 13, 2005
                            If you have used the RPM install, you'd better use the
                            webalizer.root user, and run webalizer as that user.

                            To run a program as user webalizer use, for example:

                            sudo -u webalizer /opt/webalizer-2.01-10/webalizer -c
                            /tmp/webalizer/webalizer_griho.conf

                            (In this case, I use the executable I compiled in the
                            /opt directory, and a generated conf file in a
                            temporal directory) I've never used this command
                            myself, so I don't know what problems you may
                            encounter using it.

                            As always, use the man command for further input, "man
                            sudo" :)